FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Shipping large parts

Shipping large parts

Anyone have experience shipping doors, engine covers and other large body panels. I need to list several items for sale but not sure what's the best way to ship. I assume they all need to go freight unless someone tells me other wise.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    Anyone have experience shipping doors, engine covers and other large body panels. I need to list several items for sale but not sure what's the best way to ship. I assume they all need to go freight unless someone tells me other wise.
    I researched, and have spoken to others who had experience with Greyhound....seems like a good option.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I had to ship one of my rear quarter panels to DMCNW several years ago for a repair. I got a huge box from a car shop that had housed a car door at some point. I shipped it FedEx freight. Worked out great for me, but only after I found a box that would work.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

I have done this recently. Greyhound will not insure auto parts unless they are in OEM packaging. Many parts will be too large to ship Amtrak (3x3x3 or 1 pallet size). I generally use freightquote.com and build a crate.

To build a crate, I like to use 1x3's and 1-1/4" drywall screws. This tends to come out fairly cheaply since 1x3's can be bought for less than $1.50 each. The last crate I built for a rear quarter panel used about twenty. If you are attaching two 1x3's together, you will not penetrate through both pieces unless you're super aggressive with the drill.

Here's an in-progress shot. You generally want to add "blocking" where the item has mounting holes and use that to mount it rigidly, but not super tight. If the crate gets hot or cold it could expand/contract and damage the part. Leave a small amount of wiggle room when you mount the object to the crate.
    IMG_3965.jpg
    Last edited by Drive Stainless; 03-15-2016 at 08:10 PM.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    I have done this recently. Greyhound will not insure auto parts unless they are in OEM packaging. Many parts will be too large to ship Amtrak (3x3x3 or 1 pallet size). I generally use freightquote.com and build a crate.

To build a crate, I like to use 1x3's and 1-1/4" drywall screws. This tends to come out fairly cheaply since 1x3's can be bought for less than $1.50 each. The last crate I built for a rear quarter panel used about twenty. If you are attaching two 1x3's together, you will not penetrate through both pieces unless you're super aggressive with the drill.

Here's an in-progress shot. You generally want to add "blocking" where the item has mounting holes and use that to mount it rigidly, but not super tight. If the crate gets hot or cold it could expand/contract and damage the part. Leave a small amount of wiggle room when you mount the object to the crate.
    IMG_3965.jpg
    What did you cover it with then? Plywood?

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    What did you cover it with then? Plywood?

Cheers
    Steve
    It depends. Plywood is cheap and super strong, or you can use OSB, 1/8" masonite and staple it to the 1x3s, or simply use more 1x3s! The 1x3s cut quickly and easily with a handsaw, which is an advantage to using them. The other materials require table saw/jigsaw/circular saw.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have not shipped anything but this is the handiwork of others for panels I have purchased:

door.jpg
    quarter.jpg

And how not to ship a t-panel.
    t panel.jpg

Finally, Matt's genius way of shipping a transmission
    trans.jpg
    Last edited by Josh; 03-17-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.