FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Delorean upgrade parts

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Great news indeed! I'm running Byrne's LCA's on 5052 and a door torsion unit on 4194. Both are well engineered and high quality. I look forward to buying more parts from him in the future!

Just got off the phone with Byrne. He currently has three cars in his shop for carb conversions. He's run into some technical difficulties and asked me to drive down in the service truck to help finish them up. We're shooting for the end of the month (I've got to finish my own conversions first).

I've never seen his current intake manifolds in person (modified K-Jet manifolds), so this will be interesting. Last time I was down there he was running a carb mounted where the fuel/air mixture unit used to be, mated to an otherwise stock K-Jet manifold:

ByrneHeningerCarburetor.jpg

Bill Robertson

There are more and more cars going carb. I wonder what the count is. I was keeping a count of engine conversion on my DeLorean statistics page here, but now I wonder if I should start a new category specifically for carb conversions.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

Why are there so many cars going carb these days? I could see back in the day when fuel injection was in it's infancy... I did the same thing. But these days, FI is so much better. I can't imagine we couldn't pick something off a modern car and plunk it on there and have a sweet, reliable system with readily available parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh S View Post
    Why are there so many cars going carb these days? I could see back in the day when fuel injection was in it's infancy... I did the same thing. But these days, FI is so much better. I can't imagine we couldn't pick something off a modern car and plunk it on there and have a sweet, reliable system with readily available parts.
    You could plunk it from an Eagle Premier, but you would have to swap the ignition system also, and that's where you would hit a wall because the DeLorean is odd-fire.

In his "shop" (3 car garage) Byrne typically caters to older owners who are off the online community grid. Byrne got into the business right around the turn of the 90's (aka Windows 3.1). At that time the Internet was what cafeteria ladies wore on their heads. It's a somewhat different clientele than Josh Bengston deals with. Byrne sells to anyone of course, but it's generally older owners who seek him out.

Rich in upstate New York bought a car with a Heninger carb conversion already on it. He can provide more details. I've only ever seen Byrne's personal car.

Bill Robertson

That said, most of the owners I have helped are younger than myself, some by 5-10 years, but a couple weren't even born in 1990. They would have to answer themselves why they chose carburetion.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Some of us, such as myself, prefer carburetion over fuel injection. While there are many possible reasons to prefer one over the other here are my personal reasons for preferring carburetion:

1. Simplicity (why make something more complicated than it needs to be)
    2. Ease of adjustment / repair.
    3. Lower fuel pressures.
    4. Reliability.
    5. Cost.

Perhaps my paradigms and preferences on fuel delivery are based upon the fact that I started working on cars in the mid 1990s. The carbed cars of the 70's and early 80's that I worked on were generally simple and easy to service with basic tools. The same couldn't be said for the fuel injected cars. For that very reason, my current daily driver is an 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado, with a carbed 307 V8. :-)

For the record, my carbed DeLorean is running a dual Solex system sourced from a 1977 Peugeot 604.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    2222

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCH) (DCUK)

Back in Business

Just browsed over to Byrne's website and it appears to be operational again. Only a few products being offered, but the most important and probably most ordered ones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2