FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dome light help

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I think I have the same quirk on my car. Does your car have one "plunger" on each side or two?
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

My VIN:    2222

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCH) (DCUK)

I tend to look for the simple solutions first. You said you did not know if the PO had changed the interior lights to LEDs out not. First thing I would do is just pull one of the lights and look. If they are LEDs, then try removing dimmer relay. That should make if work (although you won't have any dimming effect)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
    I think I have the same quirk on my car. Does your car have one "plunger" on each side or two?
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's 2 plungers on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. I'll confirm later today and post my findings.

My VIN:    Early

There are two plungers on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side. One of the two on the drivers are for the buzzer, or in my case, the Cadillac door chime.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    03572

The use of diodes is to get logic circuits. The door logic needed was to have either door open to turn on the dome lights. The bad thing using diodes in a power circuit is you get a voltage drop of about 0.7 volts over each diode.

I've found the stock diodes can drop up to 1.0 volts so installing your own newer diode should keep that diode drop to 0.7 volts or less.

Now running the dome "timer" does reduce the dome light voltage drops so that is not important anymore in that circuit. The dome unit provides a parallel path for the dome ground current. If your running LEDs by just removing the dome "timer" your dome lights will only get about 10.5 volts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    There are two plungers on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side. One of the two on the drivers are for the buzzer, or in my case, the Cadillac door chime.
    Yep. That's what I found, too.

How does the buzzer work? Key in ignition and door open? Car on and door open? I don't think mine works but I'd like to know how it should and why not. I do have 2 connectors on the switch that doesn't operate the door/dome lights.

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Well my theory is out. I assumed that since my car was missing the plunger and the dome lights didn't work when the door opened that they were related.

I wonder what the buzzer sounds like.
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The use of diodes is to get logic circuits. The door logic needed was to have either door open to turn on the dome lights.
    Actually the purpose of the diodes was to turn on only the door edge lights on an open door (versus illuminating both door edge lights when only one door was open). Normal cars have door plungers only.

You can bypass the diodes and the dome lights will still work normally, ie: dome lights will come on if either door is opened. Of course bypassing the diodes means door edge lights on both doors will also come on if either door is opened -- not a problem if you've got good condition outer door seals and edge sweep weatherstripping (illuminated edge lights on the closed door won't be visible).

If you do bypass the diodes, either remove the dashboard door ajar bulb (incandescent) or replace it with an LED bulb (acts as a diode) to prevent the battery from draining backwards from the courtesy light circuit through the instrument cluster via the door ajar indicator.

CourtesyLightDiodeBypass.jpg

If you are running incandescent bulbs in the dome lights, bypassing the diodes will make them burn brighter.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
    I wonder what the buzzer sounds like.
    Best said by AdmiralSenn.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    "dying goat being squeezed through a harmonica"
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3