FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Does "custom modernizing" affect the value of the D?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it can increase the perceived, and maybe, the sales value

16 57.14%
  • It will decrease the perceived, or even sales, value.

11 39.29%
  • It won't affect the value of the car either way.

1 3.57%
  • Any DeLorean that's not Concourse is worth pretty much nothing, at all.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Modernizing a DeLorean and how that affects (perceived) value

My VIN:    07000

Modernizing a DeLorean and how that affects (perceived) value

There are quite a few members here who have or will be "modernizing" their cars - I'm not talking about upgrading the brakes, electrical, A/C, stuff. But different engines (LS1), digital dashes, iPad and smartphone control, new center consoles with light up buttons, LED taillight matrix's (with a plethora of piñata effects...) etc.

The question is, and this poll is basically, do you think that "modernizing" the DeLorean affects the value, or perceived value, negatively or positively? Does it increase the price of the car if you need to sell it someday, decrease it, or have zero effect at all?

My VIN:    6125

I voted yes but I think your poll may be too general.... For example, Nick's engine swap is on a completely different level (will increase value) than adding led tail lights (may have no effect on value at all).

Just as a heads up, the phrasing on the poll isn't quite fair. For increasing value it says it "can," for decreasing value is says it "will." Subtle difference, but an important one nonetheless. My personal thought is it can go either way. I get leary when I see mismatched parts. Sometimes it can be a Frankenstein, other times it can be gorgeous. But if the previous owner, or worse previous previous owner did the changes without documenting what they replaced and why, you may find they made things more complicated, less reliable and possibly a pain to fix. Stock/contours is great because you know where and what everything is. Usually if something isn't stock its very expensive and possibly near impossible to go back to original. However, with a DeLorean so many parts are still around it makes the stock not seem as hard to regain if the previous owner did modernization's you don't like.

My VIN:    07000

Yeah I realized that about the phrasing after - but can't edit it. Hopefully people get the general idea.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Anytime you "mod" a collector car you subject it to a narrower market if you ever decide to sell it. Condition and originality in that order. You may find a smaller segment willing to pay more for a engine swap, but again, the majority want originality (the majority of the time).

Most people don't customize to sell, they customize because they don't plan to sell. I have done some mods to my car, but I kept it simple and 100% reversible because even though I don't plan to sell doesn't mean that I won't, and a LED lighted engine bay just doesn't do it for everyone.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

After I modified my car with the 17" and 18" wheels, re-routed air vents, iPad mounted in-dash stereo, etc, etc, I've had several people email me and ask to be first in line if I ever sell the car.

So, I think depending on how tastefully the modifications are done, it *could* raise the value for the right buyer.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    10201

I think how well/tastefully it is done is way more important than how customized. Personally, I wouldn't take value off a car for strictly modern fixes. I think anything truly "custom" would depend on the potential buyer.

My VIN:    3305

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    So, I think depending on how tastefully the modifications are done, it *could* raise the value for the right buyer.
    I agree with you.

Besides, I think that the value increases as long as the jobs are done properly and professionally. Replacing old and prone-to-failure parts with modern and safe ones will also increase the value, in my opinion.

If a Delorean is a kind of a Frankenstein monster with tasteless replacements and pointless mods its value will decrease.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I would say that "on average" an engine swap will decrease the car's resale value.

And before everyone gets all upset, I mean that we have seen many more poor engine swaps pass across this board in terms of 'for-sale' ads than we have seen good engine swaps like Nick, Eds or Toms.

As for other upgrades, as noted above, that will differ depending on the upgrade. LED tail light boards won't affect the price in any way (they are a nice-to-have, but also an easy DIY); LED matrix boards will appeal to a much smaller set of prospective buyers, but will they pay more for them? Others may pay less, knowing they need to keep back a few hundred dollars to replace them, if they aren't to their tastes. LED headlights would be a similar case.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    After I modified my car with the 17" and 18" wheels, re-routed air vents, iPad mounted in-dash stereo, etc, etc, I've had several people email me and ask to be first in line if I ever sell the car.

I agree; I think it may narrow the market for resale (at least within the general DMC market), but depending on the modifications, that niche market can be at a higher price point. My car once got picked up by a website that somehow gave the impression to readers that it was for sale. The offers and overall interest I received was a lot higher than I would have expected.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast