FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Does "custom modernizing" affect the value of the D?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it can increase the perceived, and maybe, the sales value

16 57.14%
  • It will decrease the perceived, or even sales, value.

11 39.29%
  • It won't affect the value of the car either way.

1 3.57%
  • Any DeLorean that's not Concourse is worth pretty much nothing, at all.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Modernizing a DeLorean and how that affects (perceived) value

My VIN:    3937

I agree with the "tastefully done" sentiment.

I'll add to that though that I think any modifications to the car that still leave you feeling like it is an 80s car are better perceived.

Upgrades and improvements from old technology to new technology are better suited for this car when they remain subtle. That goes for just about any and all electrical system upgrades in the fuse and relay area or elsewhere. Same too with better shocks, springs, ball joints, coolant reservoir, horns, brake pads or TABs. The front stiffening bar across the shock towers is a good upgrade too (don't have one myself, just assuming others have found it improves the ride and handling).

Putting in better speakers behind the rear panels makes sense to me, but not putting in a sub-woofer box. I like the idea of keeping the stereo stock looking, like guys have done with adding an AUX IN to the Craig or going with the RetroSound deck. I have a newer Alpine DIN deck and it doesn't look at all 80s era.

Where I don't feel that upgrades are as well received are the ones that too clearly point to a "non-period correct" modification. iPad consoles, flashy aftermarket rims, LED headlights. I say this knowing that Patrick C's car has many of these kinds of modifications, and shouldn't be well received according to my own logic, but I think his car looks amazing and was done very tastefully.

We drive cars that there weren't ever very many of, and for that we're already in a small market. The significantly low volume of our cars makes for a fairly hit and miss guess on what a prospective buyer might be looking for. If someone makes their Corvette or Chevelle or Mustang into a super custom car, yea, I think the value is going to go down. We don't drive cars that they made a million of though, so all that logic seems to go out the window.

You asked about modernizing, so this isn't generally something that'd be considered as such, but painting the cars seems to be about the only thing that consistently lowers the value. Albeit there are tastefully and well done paint jobs out there as well as the poor ones. But then again, you look at Hagerty's "car value" chart and it says that the car is worth some percentage less if it's an automatic. I tend to buy the car I want or do what I want to the car. I didn't buy it for the next guy, so I don't particularly care what the "next guy" thinks, car value or otherwise.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10201

I remember watching a Jay Leno's garage about the pantera and he said that the more desirable ones were ones that had been customized and updated since the stock car had issues. I think the Delorean may be more like those than the more common cars.

I wouldn't be offended by someone bringing my car back to stock but would be more upset if they put a prv back in Nick's car.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I remember watching a Jay Leno's garage about the pantera and he said that the more desirable ones were ones that had been customized and updated since the stock car had issues. I think the Delorean may be more like those than the more common cars.
    Well there is a key difference between "updated" and "customized".

When you update a car, that means that you are raising it up to a specific standard of reliability. Case in point is this book right here:

It's a collection of automotive press articles published about the DeLorean. From prototype, to production, to post-factory orphaning, there are a wide variety of articles. Some of the articles such as one particular test drive one where there was an issue with the 80 amp Ducellier alternator and a separate test car had to be sorted, provide a vital look into past ownership and the problems that the first generation of owners had that we don't nowadays.

And that is just one example, but it proves the point quite well. Many of the problems that early DeLorean owners had with their vehicles, we in turn would now actually scold them for having, because that means that they didn't address them. Power issues with your car? Why haven't you upgraded to the Motorola 90 amp alternator? And the list goes on.

An all-original DMC-12 with the 80-Amp alternator, no front-end recall kit, no de-ice sheild on the throttle spool, still has Lucas Relays, the Fail Fail Relay, no Guide Blocks on the doors, leak-prone oil pressure switch, plastic coolant tank, etc., may be considered "all original", but it's really only desirable to a micro-niche of a select-few people that want a pristine specimen instead of a functioning car. A car such as that is not "updated". But if you had two identical cars for sale where one was positively original, but the other was "Updated", the Updated one would sell first almost every time.

An updated car certainly is more desirable.

Customization is a whole other kettle of fish. But there are certain cases where customizing a car positively makes it more desirable. Prime example: The Radio. From the factory, the car came equipped with a 2-channel, shaft radio with those two big knobs. And people for some reason still feel uncomfortable with cutting out the dash to accommodate a modern DIN radio with functional, usable features. That's why people still look to settle with those low-end, shaft-style, junk model, flea market specials from Poncho's Give-A-Way , or have even spoken about wiring up all manor of FM adapters to get MP3 players and phones to work with their cars.

But if you see a car for sale where the owner has already cut the dash, and installed a modern DIN radio, then the car becomes more desirable because the taboo of irreversibly customizing/modifying the car has already been done, and the guilt now lies with someone else. So now the new owner can install their own radio of their choice with no hard feelings.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    But if you see a car for sale where the owner has already cut the dash, and installed a modern DIN radio, then the car becomes more desirable because the taboo of irreversibly customizing/modifying the car has already been done, and the guilt now lies with someone else. So now the new owner can install their own radio of their choice with no hard feelings.
    Lol I essentially do the same with my painted car. I like it better but I always "blame" the previous owner for customizing it. I agree with he custom vs update, I wasn't clear distinguishing between the two.

My VIN:    16811

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    After I modified my car with the 17" and 18" wheels, re-routed air vents, iPad mounted in-dash stereo, etc, etc, I've had several people email me and ask to be first in line if I ever sell the car.

So, I think depending on how tastefully the modifications are done, it *could* raise the value for the right buyer.
    I second what Patrick said. I've been seriously offered more for my iDMC than what most would go for. Our cars are almost identical.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    Our cars are almost identical.
    For now...until you finish one-upping me by adding that turbo!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

My engine swap (VR6 + turbo) and switch to manual tranny has completely changed the characteristics of my car for the (much) better. What used to be just another sluggish Delorean has now become a one-off and unique D that is as fast, if not faster, than it looks. Last Sunday I went on a long trip just to drive it. It's just a hell of a lot more fun now.

Another aspect: The other night I tracked down an AC problem with my laptop hooked up to the MS3 Pro ECU. Didn't even get my hands dirty. A lot of the car's sensors and general logic are integrated into the ECU and if there's a problem, I'll see it as soon as I connect to it. The up-to-date engineering aspect is worth a lot to me as well.

So, to me, improved performance and modern technology makes the value of my car, perceived or not, immeasurable for the simple reason that it is on track to become exactly what I want; exactly how much that translates to in actual $ I'll never know because I'll never have a reason to ask anyone what they would offer.

Club(s):   (DCF)

Just for raw data, I bought my Delorean for $15K from my uncle who was the original owner. I had about $6K in upgrades including the 2JZ supra engine into it. I sold it for $47K.

-Ed

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by SEO Motorsports View Post
    Just for raw data, I bought my Delorean for $15K from my uncle who was the original owner. I had about $6K in upgrades including the 2JZ supra engine into it. I sold it for $47K.

-Ed
    Upgrades and modifications that are reversible and leave no holes or other marks (and you have the original parts) generally won't hurt the value unless you are trying to sell it to a purist who is looking for an untouched original car. Changes to make the car safer and/or more reliable (like recalls or new tires) may actually improve the value. IMHO changing the motor is a major change that most would not want done. Another would be a painted car. Things like that IMHO would lower the value of the car.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Upgrades and modifications that are reversible and leave no holes or other marks (and you have the original parts) generally won't hurt the value unless you are trying to sell it to a purist who is looking for an untouched original car. Changes to make the car safer and/or more reliable (like recalls or new tires) may actually improve the value. IMHO changing the motor is a major change that most would not want done. Another would be a painted car. Things like that IMHO would lower the value of the car.
    For the record, I never said mods lower the value. I said they subject it to a narrower market. In fact I said mods can actually raise the value to that smaller group.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2