FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCMW aluminum LCA

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

DMCMW aluminum LCA

I am in a market for a new set of LCAs and wondering if anyone has installed the new DMCMW aluminum LCAs and care to share your experiences.
    Looks pretty amazing (work of art).

IMG_9867.jpgIMG_2743.jpg

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I agree. My only concern is you have a soft metal (aluminum) and are pressing in a steel ball joint. Is this going to be another situation like the original arms, where you may stretch the area that holds the ball joint and won't have a tight fit in the future when you need to replace the ball joint? Just food for thought.

I agree though, they look beautiful.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    814

Club(s):   (DCH)

I have just fitted these.

Perfect.

No issues at all. I took it to be aligned afterwards. It was aligned about 1000 miles previously. With new arms, it didn't even need any adjustment.

Quite an easy installation. I didn't swap springs so they stayed in the compressors in situ. New arm slotted straight in. Spax shock fitted perfectly with no slop using the supplied washers.

I have nothing but praise for the arms. Tho the UK government did claw back a horrible amount of tax in recompense for that expended on Dunmurry!

Andy

My VIN:    6472

How much are they?
    Can the LCA brackets be used with these? Or would that be redundant with these particular units?

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    How much are they?
    Can the LCA brackets be used with these? Or would that be redundant with these particular units?
    It's a little over $600 each.
    Don't know about LCA bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Look at the shape of the LCA -- it is narrowest at the pivot point. This allows a tremendous amount of fore/aft movement, especially given unsuitability of the swaybar as a thrust arm (Lotus itself recognized that trying to make the swaybar do double duty as a thrust arm doesn't work and triangulated LCA's on its later cars: S4 Esprit http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...dVfkie/$_1.JPG).

Imagine someone trying to push you over while standing with your legs together versus standing with your legs spread apart. Legs together is much less stable than legs apart.

That's the principle behind Ed's LCA brackets.

Any LCA that depends upon the swaybar alone to prevent fore/aft movement will have the same weakness. Alternative LCA's may correct other weaknesses, such as tendency of OEM LCA's to rotate around themselves, but excessive fore/aft movement will still be there.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 03-22-2016 at 02:02 AM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

These LCAs look great, but I wouldn't put them on my car. As mentioned, you are running into trouble pressing a steel bushing and ball joint into an aluminum arm. Also, at 600 / piece you are paying close to twice as much the other alternatives out there.

I think the real game changer would be if someone actually thinks outside of the box and makes a lower a-arm, not a copy of the original poor design relying on the sway bar for triangulation.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03572

I don't see any problem pressing the ball joint into the aluminum. Maybe you could not do it more then 6 to 10 times.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    2222

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCH) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I think the real game changer would be if someone actually thinks outside of the box and makes a lower a-arm, not a copy of the original poor design relying on the sway bar for triangulation.
    In discussing some of the proposed improvements with DMCH for the new 'replica' Deloreans that Houston will be producing, I was told they are looking to replace the existing front suspension with a double wishbone setup that is supposed to be upgradable in our in existing vehicles. No frame mods are supposed to be required. No time-frame or price point was given

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by durech View Post
    In discussing some of the proposed improvements with DMCH for the new 'replica' Deloreans that Houston will be producing, I was told they are looking to replace the existing front suspension with a double wishbone setup that is supposed to be upgradable in our in existing vehicles. No frame mods are supposed to be required. No time-frame or price point was given
    I've been waiting for news like this! I keep pestering Rob Grady to replicate his wishbone LCAs that Legend Industries created.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast