FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCMW aluminum LCA

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I don't know if Byrne has any of his LCA's left, but they were steel and HEAVY. About $1k all in IIRC and included new bushings.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2222

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCH) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I don't know if Byrne has any of his LCA's left, but they were steel and HEAVY. About $1k all in IIRC and included new bushings.
    I sent him an email the other day and he replies that they still have remaining inventory of LCAs and Torsion Bars they will be selling. Did not say how many he has in stock. Since website is shutdown, I suppose you'll have to contact them directly to purchase.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of LCAs plus Ed's outriggers, but with the news from DMCH, I might just wait to upgrade to a 'factory' double wishbone. I just hope they don't want an arm & legs for this new setup. I'm going to try to get some addition info from DMCH (at least on approximate cost)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I don't know if Byrne has any of his LCA's left, but they were steel and HEAVY.
    Slightly more than 7 lbs apiece.

There is some disagreement about that much weight below the springs, but Ford trucks had big I beams below their front springs for half a century so I figure I'm in good company (F-250 and up are still twin I beam, F-150 is control arm now).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by durech View Post
    In discussing some of the proposed improvements with DMCH for the new 'replica' Deloreans that Houston will be producing, I was told they are looking to replace the existing front suspension with a double wishbone setup that is supposed to be upgradable in our in existing vehicles. No frame mods are supposed to be required. No time-frame or price point was given
    Sounds awesome, really awesome, but their track record with actually coming through and/or problems makes meander...
    Chris

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Prototype Wishbone Link Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I've been waiting for news like this! I keep pestering Rob Grady to replicate his wishbone LCAs that Legend Industries created.
    It wasn't "Legend" that did it at all Patrick. It was the work of Mike Loasby who recognized the weakness in the utilized design early on. In fact IIRC he explained at the (2nd?) factory reunion that he did the fabrication himself on his own time as a side project because the original design was locked in at that point. Maybe Barry Wills could add something to this? In any case I am considering his original modifications as well as an altered version. If I decide to do it I will announce details here in the future.
    Rob

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    It wasn't "Legend" that did it at all Patrick. It was the work of Mike Loasby who recognized the weakness in the utilized design early on. In fact IIRC he explained at the (2nd?) factory reunion that he did the fabrication himself on his own time as a side project because the original design was locked in at that point. Maybe Barry Wills could add something to this? In any case I am considering his original modifications as well as an altered version. If I decide to do it I will announce details here in the future.
    Rob
    I stand corrected! And I want to be a beta tester!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Rob
    Is it OK if I post pics of Loasby's lower wishbones? (They're on Rob's car).

Sarah Heasty showed a document at DCS'14 where Loasby sent a production car to Porsche to have the front suspension evaluated and improvements suggested. 2000-3000 VIN IIRC.

Not only Loasby found fault with the front suspension: on the old .com site Nick Sutton recounted slamming the brakes on a test mule and having the LCA's pull off the swaybar and fold back underneath the car. Solution was bigger washers.

Bill Robertson

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I guess there is enough of a demand for this. I'll engineering and manufacture a proper double wishbone front suspension. BRB.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A "proper" redesign of the front suspension should not require the sway bar to position the wheel front-to-back and take all of the brake loading. The geometry is all "goofy" in that different parts are moving in different arcs and you need the bushings to be compliant enough to allow for all of the different movements. This requires the bushings to be softer than they should be so the wheels are not held ridgedly enough in place for good alignment. Then there is the problem of proper ride height and suspension travel. Once you start to alter the characteristics of the LCA's you change a LOT of things and they all have to be taken into account. Another area for improvement would be the turning radius, for a small car the Delorean has an enormous turning radius. Finally to make things more complicated, anyone offering such an important part and changing it materially can expect to have to have insurance just in case someone gets hurt and sues the manufacturer for a defective product. As bad as the original LCA's may be, no one can get in trouble for selling them as they could a redesigned part. Just some things to think about for anyone contemplating redesigning such an important part. Failure of the LCA will result in complete loss of control. The first question a lawyer will have is "What testing was done to prove they are safe"? It will go downhill from there. None of this accounts for a customer improperly installing them or worse, damaging them and then having an accident.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast