FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dash Pads?

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

People have had good luck getting their original dash redone by http://www.justdashes.com

They strip the old dash down to the bare metal frame and rebuild it using modern materials. I understand they are able to replicate the finish of the dash exactly as NOS.

I am unsure of exact pricing, but believe it was in the $800 range several years ago.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

I'd just buy a dashmat:

http://www.dashmat.com/index.html

Nice looking protective cover will hide your sunburned dash until you find a suitable replacement. Even after installing a new dash pad, I'd still use the dashmat to prolong its life.

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    How long did you have a repo dash installed?
    Too long.
    There were gaps between the A-Pillars. It was wavy. Depending on the light, you could see where the studs were on the underside. It was just overall trash.
    Luckily for me, a friend of mine gave me his original dash board, mostly free of cracks, aside for a hairline crack by the glove box lid. I installed that right quick and bought a dash mat...which leads me to....

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    I'd just buy a dashmat:
    http://www.dashmat.com/index.html
    Agreed. This is who I bought mine from. I LOVE it. I used to despise Dashmats. This one, however, I love. I went with the "Suede Dash" version. No regrets.

12948483_10156802225770268_183462048_o.jpg12970724_10156802225660268_26310258_o (1).jpg
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    6635

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

While the replacements aren't perfect, they're 1000x better than my destroyed original or the half a** dashmat I had. I'm very happy and it makes a world of difference every time I sit in my car.

Now this dash rebuilding shop...very interesting. Glad I saved my original in case I ever need to go down that route!

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    People have had good luck getting their original dash redone by http://www.justdashes.com

They strip the old dash down to the bare metal frame and rebuild it using modern materials. I understand they are able to replicate the finish of the dash exactly as NOS.
    Would anyone happen to have a picture of what the dash looks like stripped down to the metal? I'm trying to decide if I want to try recovering it myself.

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Too long.
    There were gaps between the A-Pillars. It was wavy. Depending on the light, you could see where the studs were on the underside. It was just overall trash.
    Luckily for me, a friend of mine gave me his original dash board, mostly free of cracks, aside for a hairline crack by the glove box lid. I installed that right quick and bought a dash mat...which leads me to....

Agreed. This is who I bought mine from. I LOVE it. I used to despise Dashmats. This one, however, I love. I went with the "Suede Dash" version. No regrets.

12948483_10156802225770268_183462048_o.jpg12970724_10156802225660268_26310258_o (1).jpg
    Just checking you actually had a basis to bash

Zero fitment issues in my car, that and I can't stand to even look at a dash mat. First thing I did when I got my car was toss the mat out and get a repo dash. Had the dash before the car showed up lol

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I, however, mounted speakers in my foot wells with tweeters in place of the 3.5" speakers.
    I came across the link you posted when I was doing a search for others who have recovered their dash. I didn't like the way the grills looked. Could you post a picture of how you did your speakers? I just finished recovering and installing my dash and would love some ideas on where to alternately place some speakers.

Thanks for your posts guys.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I came across the link you posted when I was doing a search for others who have recovered their dash. I didn't like the way the grills looked. Could you post a picture of how you did your speakers? I just finished recovering and installing my dash and would love some ideas on where to alternately place some speakers.

Thanks for your posts guys.
    I have cheap, ugly speaker boxes for now, but the best place to buy footwell speakers boxes would be from DMCCA. I will take pictures of the tweaters in my dash when I get the chance.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post

I am unsure of exact pricing, but believe it was in the $800 range several years ago.
    Justdashes.com DeLorean estimate:

$600 - Binnacle
    $1,200 - Dashboard (speaker holes +$50)
    $200 - Glove Box Door
    $100-$200 Color Match Fee (if Gray)
    + Shipping

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Well, for a quick update - I wrapped the dash pad with the material I mentioned earlier, and below are the results. I also wrapped the "glove box" door and passenger knee pad. The material looks great, however the color doesn't exactly match the rest of the interior which of course is pissing me off even though it isn't "that bad". It does match pretty closely to my replacement A-Post trim from DMCH but that is about it. Unless I recover the binnacle and other knee pads along with the doors which I do not plan to do-I'll have to suffer with it for now.

Last edited by dn010; 05-18-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast