Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: To stripe or not to stripe

  1. #1
    Senior Member Trstno1's Avatar
    Join Date:  Aug 2014

    Location:  Anchorage, Alaska

    Posts:    694

    My VIN:    5625

    To stripe or not to stripe

    Hey guys-

    To stripe or not to stripe, that is the question.....

    What do you guys think about the stripe? Cool or over the top?

    I've been thinking about putting a stripe on 5625 and was curious if anyone had any experience doing it? Are they difficult to install? I would be a little worried about getting everything to line up properly. I also image you would have to clean the stainless with something in order to remove any oily residues left by cleaners. What should be used?

    It looks like the only reproduction available is through Hervey. Any thoughts on that product? Is it textured like the original?

    What do you guys think?
    Attached Images
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

  2. #2
    Matt Drive Stainless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2016

    Location:  Washington D.C.

    Posts:    502

    Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Hey guys-

    To stripe or not to stripe, that is the question.....

    What do you guys think about the stripe? Cool or over the top?

    I've been thinking about putting a stripe on 5625 and was curious if anyone had any experience doing it? Are they difficult to install? I would be a little worried about getting everything to line up properly. I also image you would have to clean the stainless with something in order to remove any oily residues left by cleaners. What should be used?

    It looks like the only reproduction available is through Hervey. Any thoughts on that product? Is it textured like the original?

    What do you guys think?
    I like the stripe, but don't have one on my car. If your rub strips are properly aligned, it will be easy to align the stripe. If your rub strips are not properly aligned, then pull them off and realign them using a 6' straight-edge from a hardware store. You can also use a contour gauge to precisely locate the straight-edge at both ends of the door evenly with respect to the door creases. This is how I did mine:

    IMG_2268.jpgIMG_2275.jpgIMG_2276.jpgIMG_2269.jpg
    Last edited by Drive Stainless; 03-22-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    NEW S/S Fuel Filler Assembly for modern fuel cap - $129.99
    V3 S/S Alternator Tensioning Bracket - SOLD OUT
    S/S Upper Alternator Bracket for Saturn/Autozone Alternator - $39.99
    QA1 "DIY" Coil-Over Suspension Kit - $99.99
    Power mirror switch rebuilding service - $49.99
    New & Used DeLorean Parts on eBay HERE.
    Welding services also (all metals)!
    http://www.drivestainless.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2013

    Location:  San Diego, CA

    Posts:    42

    My VIN:    4626

    Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Hey guys-

    To stripe or not to stripe, that is the question.....

    What do you guys think about the stripe? Cool or over the top?

    I've been thinking about putting a stripe on 5625 and was curious if anyone had any experience doing it? Are they difficult to install? I would be a little worried about getting everything to line up properly. I also image you would have to clean the stainless with something in order to remove any oily residues left by cleaners. What should be used?

    It looks like the only reproduction available is through Hervey. Any thoughts on that product? Is it textured like the original?

    What do you guys think?
    I have the thin stripe and I love it. Think it was put on as a factory option. Something about it just makes it way different.

    Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 3.20.42 PM.jpgnarrowgreystripe.jpg

  4. #4
    Senior Member Trstno1's Avatar
    Join Date:  Aug 2014

    Location:  Anchorage, Alaska

    Posts:    694

    My VIN:    5625

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    I like the stripe, but don't have one on my car. If your rub strips are properly aligned, it will be easy to align the stripe. If your rub strips are not properly aligned, then pull them off and realign them using a 6' straight-edge from a hardware store. You can also use a contour gauge to precisely locate the straight-edge at both ends of the door evenly with respect to the door creases. This is how I did mine:

    IMG_2268.jpgIMG_2275.jpgIMG_2276.jpgIMG_2269.jpg
    Nice! My rub strips are strait but I'll check just in case. Thanks for the visual!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

  5. #5
    Senior Member Trstno1's Avatar
    Join Date:  Aug 2014

    Location:  Anchorage, Alaska

    Posts:    694

    My VIN:    5625

    Quote Originally Posted by cdmcali View Post
    I have the thin stripe and I love it. Think it was put on as a factory option. Something about it just makes it way different.

    Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 3.20.42 PM.jpgnarrowgreystripe.jpg
    Very nice!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

  6. #6
    Senior Member Patrick C's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern Michigan

    Posts:    1,007

    My VIN:    1880

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    I put on VideoBob's replica stripe 5 or 6 years ago and haven't regretted it! I think it makes the car more aggressive looking.
    Attached Images
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880
    Modifications done to my car can be seen in this video: https://youtu.be/ncMjW2pI2e4

  7. #7
    Senior Member Trstno1's Avatar
    Join Date:  Aug 2014

    Location:  Anchorage, Alaska

    Posts:    694

    My VIN:    5625

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I put on VideoBob's replica stripe 5 or 6 years ago and haven't regretted it! I think it makes the car more aggressive looking.
    I looked at video bob' website and didn't see the stripes for sale. I'll have to shoot him an email...

    Do you remember what you spent on it?

    Any one else install Hervey's stripe kit?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

  8. #8
    One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Vancouver, BC

    Posts:    3,373

    My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Stripes all the way.

    Rob Grady has NOS grey narrow stripes for sale at a great price. I got my NOS wide black stripe off Kyle here. Both went on quite easily. No problems with adhesion on the wide stripe. Mild adhesion issues with the narrow stripe.

    I love it.

    1.jpg2.jpg
    Dave

    Here, somewhere.


  9. #9
    Senior Member Trstno1's Avatar
    Join Date:  Aug 2014

    Location:  Anchorage, Alaska

    Posts:    694

    My VIN:    5625

    Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Stripes all the way.

    Rob Grady has NOS grey narrow stripes for sale at a great price. I got my NOS wide black stripe off Kyle here. Both went on quite easily. No problems with adhesion on the wide stripe. Mild adhesion issues with the narrow stripe.

    I love it.

    1.jpg2.jpg
    Wow! Double strip!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    4,315

    My VIN:    3937

    Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Wow! Double strip!
    We have a triple striped car among us, if you believe it. I don't have a good picture showing it all at once though. The top stripe goes from the rear quarter, long the top portion of the doors above the glass, and then ends before it gets to the front quarter. It'd need a picture with the doors closed to show it best, but I don't have that sort of pic. The pics I do have were from the British Car Day in 2013 when we had some 32 cars there. So maybe someone else got a better photo of the triple striper?

    IMG_0874.jpgIMG_0875.jpg


    Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •