FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: To stripe or not to stripe

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Stripes all the way.

Rob Grady has NOS grey narrow stripes for sale at a great price. I got my NOS wide black stripe off Kyle here. Both went on quite easily. No problems with adhesion on the wide stripe. Mild adhesion issues with the narrow stripe.

I love it.

Attachment 41002Attachment 41001
    We also have a reproduction stripe kit. It doesn't have the 3M grain look but has a similar DMC logo and from ten feet away looks NOS. We have some NOS grey stripes too and either style is currently $125- but that may change as the supply dwindle.
    Rob

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We also have a reproduction stripe kit. It doesn't have the 3M grain look but has a similar DMC logo and from ten feet away looks NOS. We have some NOS grey stripes too and either style is currently $125- but that may change as the supply dwindle.
    Rob
    Can you post an up close pic of your repo?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

I added a wide stripe to my car about 5years ago and love it, I even find when it's parked next to a non-striped D the one without the stripe looks naked.

Mine is just Matt back vinyl but with the 3D DMC logo, I did locate a source for the textured vinyl, 100%match for oem but it was too much effort to cut and to be honest it just wasn't worth perusing when the straigh Matt black ones look so good.

I personally am not a fan of the cut out DMC logo on the reproductions which shows the stainless through, the 3D printed logo, which some people stock, is much smarter, IMHO of course.

At the end of the day you can remove a wide side stripe in all of about ten minutes with no lasting effect, so there's no risk involved in giving it a go.

J
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 03-23-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    I added a wide stripe to my car about 5years ago and love it, I even find when it's parked next to a non-striped D the one without the stripe looks naked.

Mine is just Matt back vinyl but with the 3D DMC logo, I did locate a source for the textured vinyl, 100%match for oem but it was too much effort to cut and to be honest it just wasn't worth perusing when the straigh Matt black ones look so good.

I personally am not a fan of the cut out DMC logo on the reproductions which shows the stainless through, the 3D printed logo, which some people stock, is much smarter, IMHO of course.

At the end of the day you can remove a wide side stripe in all of about ten minutes with no lasting effect, so there's no risk involved in giving it a go.

J
    Can you post an up close pic of the logo and texture? Did you purchase it from Grady?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Can you post an up close pic of the logo and texture? Did you purchase it from Grady?
    No idea why, but whenever I upload photos to the forum via iPad they flip upside down but here goes.

Excuse the dirt, this car is pretty much my daily driver.... Here's the logo, it's silver vinyl which is adhered on top of the Matt black vinyl, as you can see no texture as such just not shiny.
    image.jpg

Below is the material I sourced which is very, very close to original, this is the thin line at the bottom of the wide stripe, unfortunately the material is not really suitable for cutting with a normal sign writers vinyl cutter, it's fractionally too tough. It can easily be cut by hand with a craft knife, but I gave up on it as I was really happy with the Matt black vinyl ones.
    image.jpg
    J
    Attached Images

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Any one else install Hervey's stripe kit?
    I did. Installation was pretty easy.

On each of the stripes, the rear edge didn't quite match the curve of the wheel well. Once installed, careful use of a pen knife corrected this error.

When I go back and look at pics of my car before the stripes, it looks weirdly naked.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I did. Installation was pretty easy.

On each of the stripes, the rear edge didn't quite match the curve of the wheel well. Once installed, careful use of a pen knife corrected this error.

When I go back and look at pics of my car before the stripes, it looks weirdly naked.
    Ok. Did Hervey's kit come textured? Was the DMC symbol just the stainless showing through or was it built into the sticker?

Did you wash the surface of your car with a degreaser or rubbing alcohol prior to installation?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Ok. Did Hervey's kit come textured? Was the DMC symbol just the stainless showing through or was it built into the sticker?

Did you wash the surface of your car with a degreaser or rubbing alcohol prior to installation?
    Hervey's is textured. The "DMC" is a cutout.

Cleaned the stainless with 91% isopropanol prior to application.

Application was standard decal technique: a tablespoon of dish soap in a bucket of water applied to surface, plastic squeegee, etc. It helped that it was a warm day, so the liquids evaporated quickly and didn't make too much of a mess. This was several years ago, so I can't give you a blow-by-blow account, but I recall there being no mishaps. The Hervey decals are made of a good, thick material which didn't tear even during repositioning (of course, adding more soapy water helped this).

This is the type of squeegee we used. It's made by 3M.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrguk View Post
    No idea why, but whenever I upload photos to the forum via iPad they flip upside down but here goes.

Excuse the dirt, this car is pretty much my daily driver.... Here's the logo, it's silver vinyl which is adhered on top of the Matt black vinyl, as you can see no texture as such just not shiny.
    image.jpg

Below is the material I sourced which is very, very close to original, this is the thin line at the bottom of the wide stripe, unfortunately the material is not really suitable for cutting with a normal sign writers vinyl cutter, it's fractionally too tough. It can easily be cut by hand with a craft knife, but I gave up on it as I was really happy with the Matt black vinyl ones.
    image.jpg
    J
    This is the one we are selling. Don't feel bad James my pictures come out upside down on this forum too and I haven't found the fix yet.
    Rob

My VIN:    4115

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Rob
    Do the stripe vinyls have any sort of adhesive on them to help them cling to the body? Or are they more like vinyls that weekend rally-ers apply to the sides of their cars?

I'm asking because I'm going to be entering an event where the second type of vinyls is going to be used. Of course, these cling nicely to painted cars, but I'm not sure what they will do against the brushed stainless of the DMC-12. I will continue to search the forum in case my question has been answered, but if the stripes you sell have an adhesive, and an adhesive is needed to make anything cling to the stainless, knowing that information will save me a lot of time and heartache.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast