FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DPI Spec 1 Review

My VIN:    6585

Are you missing a catalytic convertor? Or is your's on the non-approved aftermarket list?

I believe that it's a requirement to have the stock catalyst it was equipped with from the factory to remain in place for at least 8 years before you can remove it. You must still reinstall one in it's place of course, but California does allow for the modification of exhaust systems as long as the factory-equipped emissions equipment remains in place. Failing you just because an aftermarket system is installed without verification of the catalytic convertor doesn't seem right.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...ftermktcat.htm
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

What is the HP increase of the DPI Spec 1? Comparable to the ~20HP gain claimed by DMC-H Stage 1?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is not all about raw HP. The Stage I from DMCH also increases the torque and that's where the fun factor really is. And the sound. I can't speak to the DPI version having never seen or driven one.
    David Teitelbaum

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

I think (like mine) a lot DeLoreans are driving around on melted cats, literally strangling the output of exhaust gases and power.

Going to a new, less restrictive exhaust makes a substantial difference.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is not all about raw HP. The Stage I from DMCH also increases the torque and that's where the fun factor really is. And the sound. I can't speak to the DPI version having never seen or driven one.
    Thanks David. Is there reason to believe that the SPEC I would not also bring a torque increase?

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

This is a video I made of my friends new DPI Spec 1 exhaust when he first had it installed by a local mechanic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iybJx2Ln7ec

It sounds great and roughly adds 20 more hp. If you go this route make sure your ceramic coat the exhaust system. It's extra money but you won't regret it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Burns View Post
    make sure your ceramic coat the exhaust system. It's extra money but you won't regret it!!
    What's the purpose of the ceramic coating?

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Helps the exhaust last longer, look prettier longer, and helps keep engine heat down. Especially around important engine components such as the starter.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Owners typically see an increase of 17-21 hp and 20-30 ft lbs of torque with our system. This is completely dependant on over all engine condition etc. Ceramic coating is now a direct option offered by us as well.

Exhaust system complete
    https://deloreanindustries.com/spec-i-exhaust/

Ceramic coating add on
    https://deloreanindustries.com/delor...c-coat-add-on/
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As I understand the DPI upgrade, it is similar to the DMC Stage I so results should be similar. As I said, not having seen the DPI one or driven one I can't comment on it. My comment was only to offer that it is not all about HP. How it feels, sounds and what it costs are part of your decision making process. And as DPI points out, don't expect a tired, worn out motor to suddenly be rejuvenated, you should only do the upgrade on a healthy motor and a car that is in reasonably good general shape. Now, if you overheated a good motor then that might be a good time to consider doing this kind of upgrade since you have to pull the heads anyway. Whichever you choose it gives a noticeable increase in performance. Not as much as a turbo but a good bit more than a stock motor.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3