FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Double-sided tape or glue for new driver's side mirrors on top of old ones?

My VIN:    2088

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Double-sided tape or glue for new driver's side mirrors on top of old ones?

My side mirrors need to be replaced. Unfortunately, the replacements I ordered didn't come with instructions or double-sided tape.

I bought double-sided tape suitable for outdoor use at a hardware store. If I use it, my new side mirrors will sit at least 1/8th inch closer to the driver than designed -- and I'm concerned the new mirrors will eventually fall off.

I was wondering if it would make better sense to glue the new side mirrors directly on top of the old ones. But, would that potentially damage the coating of the new side mirrors?

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

When I did this job, I used a heat gun to warm the old mirror adhesive and used a putty knife to carefully remove the old glass. Then, you are able to properly clean the mounting surface in preparation for the new glass. Putting the new ones on top of the old seems silly to me, and adds a little bit of weight (minuscule, I know) to the door which is never desirable.

Just my .02
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

here you can find an instruction:

http://delorean.neostrada.pl/DMC/mirror.htm

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Use double sided tape but be sure to use automotive grade (i.e. 3M VHB) tape. Anything meant for indoor use only won't hold up to heat/moisture, and when it fails the glass will hit the ground.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I agree.

I just used a putty knife and the old glass came right off. I used Goo Gone and patience to remove the residue off the mounting area. I then used 3M outdoor 2 sided tape to affix the new glass. If you want, there are pictures in the exterior restoration folder on my profile.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thanks, all. I just ordered a heat gun, so I'll try to remove the old mirrors before fastening the new ones with double-sided tape (outdoor grade).

As it turns out, I didn't need a heat gun. My old mirrors came off in one piece with a gentle pry. I guess 35 years was about the lifespan of the adhesive keeping those old mirrors attached.

My VIN:    5433

One of the first things I bought as a new owner of a Delorean was the convex mirror set from Ed (Delorean Europe).
    What a difference they make!!! Much safer.

I also didn't need a heat gun as an ordinary hair blower and a putty knife was more than sufficient. What I thought was very useful was a metal PC strip which is used to cover the empty boards on the motherboard.
    You can go with this strip inside the mirror cover and behind the plastic which holds the mirror and that way you can use more force when sticking the mirror to the plastic.

Pascal
    Attached Images