FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Timing adjustment - Don's crazy cams

My VIN:    10270

Does the Duraspark have a pin to add some spark retard like certain GM HEI modules do? If you really are supposed to set base timing to 20deg such a thing may help with hard starting.

There are a few other things in that DML link that give pause and I would probably call Don to confirm that base advance figure.

FWIW I've tested at least 13 degrees of electronic spark retard without phasing issues - spark falling off, jumping posts, or the like - and it seems like there is room for a touch more. Exhaust will start to get hot, tho
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Spark timing is under control of the distributor. All the module controls is dwell.

Duraspark has a sense wire for a starting signal, which increases dwell to 56 degrees. Compensates for lower voltage from the battery while cranking.

At idle Duraspark dwell is 50 degrees (versus 44 degrees for the stock Bosch module).

Bosch module dwell increases to 46 degrees at 3,000 RPM. Duraspark dwell *DECREASES* to 44 degrees at 3,000 RPM. It's part of Ford's philosophy to maximize fuel burn (let the coil discharge as long as possible before recharging). Ford also increased size of the rotor blade to maximize contact time with each cap terminal. That's why Duraspark distributor caps are such large diameter.

Bill Robertson

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Don?

Who is crazy Don?

Time ÷ Space = Traveling without moving Dutch's Avatar

My VIN:    1729

Club(s):   (DCF)

excerpt from : http://www.projectvixen.com/dmcnews-.../msg79587.html

High Performance Cam Shafts (I call them "Don's Crazy Cams")
    developed by Don Steger from DeLorean Motor Company - California
    (formerly DeLorean Motor Center)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

When did (the other Dave S) sell this car? I know he's been quiet for a while but I didn't realize he sold it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Time ÷ Space = Traveling without moving Dutch's Avatar

My VIN:    1729

Club(s):   (DCF)

According to my paperwork it was sold (by Dave) to the previous owner in Dec of 2013 and I bought it from him in March of Last year.

The car does come with some incredible paperwork, originating back to the original window sticker and bill of sale (including dealership receipts, tags and title papers, maintenance receipts)

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    According to my paperwork it was sold (by Dave) to the previous owner in Dec of 2013 and I bought it from him in March of Last year.

The car does come with some incredible paperwork, originating back to the original window sticker and bill of sale (including dealership receipts, tags and title papers, maintenance receipts)
    You have quite an incredible car that's had a lot of love put into it! I'm glad it seems to be in the hands of an owner who will appreciate it's unique history!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    When did (the other Dave S) sell this car? I know he's been quiet for a while but I didn't realize he sold it.
    Perhaps you were thinking Dave Stragand and the famous Project vixen Twin Turbo 05927.

Perhaps the car in question belonged to Dave Watts. (Dutch states his VIN 01729)
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Perhaps you were thinking Dave Stragand and the famous Project vixen Twin Turbo 05927.

Perhaps the car in question belonged to Dave Watts. (Dutch states his VIN 01729)
    Dave Stragand drove his D to DCS2014.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post

Ahhh. I certainly was thinking of this being Dave Stragand's car. The link to projectvixen.com on the first post confused me. My mistake.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast