FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LED Headlight Conversion

My VIN:    4665

Tom, good to see you back.

Checked out your site...do you have any guidance as to when the next batch your fabulous LED door lights would be ready for sale?

Thanks

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Tom, good to see you back.

Checked out your site...do you have any guidance as to when the next batch your fabulous LED door lights would be ready for sale?

Thanks
    Hi,

It's been a while but I'm still here

I will post an update in my LED lights thread as not to steal this one here. Anyway, the lights are available now!

Thanks!
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

Time รท Space = Traveling without moving Dutch's Avatar

My VIN:    1729

Club(s):   (DCF)

New LED Headlights

Truck-Lite has developed new headlights, in the past they had a set that looked strange and didn't deliver the projection needed for an efficient headlight.

The new headlights they have developed look promising:

High beam : https://www.headlightsuperstore.com/...ght-housing-s1
    Low beam: https://www.headlightsuperstore.com/...ght-housing-s1

Does anyone have any experience with these yet.

I've inquired to the heat development, the electronics are at the top of the unit, so wondering if they get to hot to warp the fuscia.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

It uses just 20W of power (compared to about 55W of the halogens), so I wouldn't worry too much about warping the facia as that's not a lot of heat.

I have three concerns about this headlight. First is the lumen output isn't listed on the manufacturer's web site. The video says 850, but that sounds really low as it's not much better than a halogen. So I wonder what the actual output really is. My other concern is regarding the single element on the low beam. Depending on how you flash the high beams, the low beam element may stay on along with the high beam element with the stock halogen. With this unit, the low doesn't change. This means you don't have as much light going to a higher elevation as a stock setup (assuming the lumen output is about the same). Granted the low beam LED bulbs I ended up using don't produce more output with the high beam activated, they at least change the throw of the output higher up.

The last concern is a big one. The shape of the housing looks like it may not fit in the headlight bucket of our cars! The heatsink looks too high. You might have to cut significantly into the bucket to get it to fit. Cut too much of it out, then it may not sit inside the headlight brackets properly which will affect the ability to aim them or have them sit straight.

But if you can make it fit and aim properly, it looks to be a good option. Just not as bolt in as some may hope for.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I'm in the fire truck industry and we only use the JW LED headlights for new production. Yes, they are pricey but you get what you pay for. The Truck-Lite units look promising.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I'm in the fire truck industry and we only use the JW LED headlights for new production. Yes, they are pricey but you get what you pay for. The Truck-Lite units look promising.
    I am also in the fire truck industry and it's amazing how many of our customers have embraced the JW speaker LED headlights. It's pretty close to half of the trucks that are running LED's, maybe another 30% HID's and the rest is a split between halogen and the last few die-hards with sealed beams.

I posted some photos a while back of the JW LED headlights on one of our trucks, see this album:
    http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid=237

It's cool that you're also in the industry, what's your involvement? I work in chassis engineering for Pierce.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    The last concern is a big one. The shape of the housing looks like it may not fit in the headlight bucket of our cars! The heatsink looks too high. You might have to cut significantly into the bucket to get it to fit. Cut too much of it out, then it may not sit inside the headlight brackets properly which will affect the ability to aim them or have them sit straight.
    You know, I think it will work.

If you compare the size and shape of the heatsink, it actually seems to fit perfect with with the reflector housing on standard H4656 & H4651 bulbs.

Now the only other thing that would concern myself would be the pigtail coming off the back of the housing. It isn't centered and is up towards the top of the assembly. BUT, if you look at the conversion kits that even DMCH sells to install new housings that instead rely upon replaceable capsule bulbs instead of complete sealed beams, you'll notice HUGE openings on the back. All to accommodate the brackets to hold the bulbs in place. I've see those sold for a number of years, yet do not ever recall anyone having to modify the buckets to accept them. And if you compare the bulbs, the connector on the LED units actually is right there within inner diameter of those headlamps. So yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll work.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    You know, I think it will work.

If you compare the size and shape of the heatsink, it actually seems to fit perfect with with the reflector housing on standard H4656 & H4651 bulbs.
    I think you may be right. For some reason I was remembering the bulbs as being more dome shaped. My bad. A bracket trim may still be required for the wiring, but that would be minor. For other conversions you do have to enlarge the hole in the back but not to the point of affecting the way it sits in the framing.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    It's cool that you're also in the industry, what's your involvement? I work in chassis engineering for Pierce.
    I represent Sutphen here in S. FL. Sales, service, rescue equipment.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10201

Has anyone tried fitting a different headlight assembly on the delorean? I'm not super happy with the 4x6 i got on eBay because the light pattern is awful. after looking at timebender's nose redesigns, i've been wondering if something could be modified to fit in there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast