FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ignition tumbler sometimes won't turn

Don't know exactly what the failure was, but a locksmith autopsied my OEM tumbler and declared it not worth salvaging.

Considering brand new ones only cost $50 delivered, why even bother?

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Thank you all!!

To the question 'was it ever re-keyed' - probably not. The first owner didn't say it had been, and the 2nd key still has the little metal tag on the ring with the key code. When I had 2 new keys cut, the locksmith said my key looked good and sharp, so he just duplicated my original key. Although, when the tumbler wouldn't turn, he went to his electronic / laser machine, plugged in the code and try another key (which didn't work, as it's the tumbler, not the keys.)

'Pulling the tumbler assembly' - I would assume the instructions are in the shop manual. I'm inclined to schedule time at a trusted locksmith, or at DMC to work on it - unless someone here who has done it, can confirm that it isn't extremely difficult and I should give it a shot.

Again - thanks to you all. I feel a bit better knowing what's going on. Though, I'd REALLY like to see some pictures or video of this 'pin' that is keep the barrel from turning.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Any chance you can confirm that THIS is the correct replacement for the DeLorean? Would I be able to have this one re-keyed to my original DeLorean keys?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    Any chance you can confirm that THIS is the correct replacement for the DeLorean?
    I'll know for certain in about two weeks -- since my OEM tumbler isn't salvageable I just bought one as a spare (I've had the auction bookmarked since last year -- that's how I found it so quickly).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    First 700

I remember seeing a video of how to remove this on youTube...only problem was they labeled the title on youTube as something like 'advanced calculus' so that people couldn't find it in a search to be a car thief. It is linked here someplace...I know not much help, but it gives some hope. I watched it and it wasn't all that bad. Getting the steering wheel off looked to be the most difficult part.

Doesn't DMCH key them for you if you have the code?

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    I remember seeing a video of how to remove this on youTube...only problem was they labeled the title on youTube as something like 'advanced calculus' so that people couldn't find it in a search to be a car thief. It is linked here someplace...I know not much help, but it gives some hope. I watched it and it wasn't all that bad. Getting the steering wheel off looked to be the most difficult part.

Doesn't DMCH key them for you if you have the code?
    Oops. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot I made that video. Here it is.

I honestly don't think I knew you could get this Range Rover replacement back when mine failed. Or at least I didn't know you could repair it with a new shear pin or Allen head screw. I'd like to get mine out of the box and see if I could make it work again. My tumbler was fine (not perfect, but pretty good) as the portion that failed was that the whole tumbler cylinder just fell out in my lap once buddie's sheet metal screw finally wiggled itself loose. I bought the replacement that's now in my car from a parts car. It wasn't cheap, but wasn't that bad considering how hard they seem to come by. I have this entire assembly still in a box of spares.

Rob or Michael, either of you have a picture of the replacement shear pins/screws?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Oops. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot I made that video.
    Thank you all again.

So... on my car, I'm ASSuming it's a tumbler issue, not an electrical issue... but that video makes me think it could be the electrical??

Are there instructions on how to removed the shroud from the steering column to get to this ignition hardware?

In the video, Jonathan kind of skips over the "one way pin"... I'm not sure what that does.

Electrical portion of the switch is just held on with a #0 Phillips screw. There is a metal adapter that goes between the switch and the tumbler. Slot in the switch is too large to turn with a flat blade screwdriver, but you can turn the adapter no problem.

You still need to turn the tumbler to unlock the steering wheel.

Bill Robertson

Correction: switch is held on with a #1 Phillips screw:

IgnitionSwitch1.jpg

Adapter that goes between the switch and the tumbler:

IgnitionSwitch2.jpg IgnitionSwitch3.jpg

Bill Robertson

Ignition tumbler showed up in today's mail. It is Made in China. It also is an imperfect fit, but can be made to work (you need to file away the column lock boss so it will fit into the hole in the column). Steel lock button itself is the same size -- just need to remove excess aluminum. Tumbler chamber also is shorter than OEM, so the key inserts further into the shroud. Electrical connection is plug & play.

For $45 delivered it is a workable solution if no better options are available, but I'd definitely look for genuine Rover first.

IgnitionTumblerxRef1.jpg

IgnitionTumblerxRef2.jpg

IgnitionTumblerxRef3.jpg

IgnitionTumblerxRef4.jpg

IgnitionTumblerxRef5.jpg

IgnitionTumblerxRef6.jpg

IgnitionTumblerxRef7.jpg

Bill Robertson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast