FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Power Antenna switch

My VIN:    5433

Power Antenna switch

I have some problem with my Craig W460 radio. I can still switch between AM and FM but the problem is that I can’t search the frequencies. So the radio always stays at the starting frequencies. Also the rubber bands of the cassette player need to be replaced. I would love to keep the original radio. Due to circumstances the repair will take a little bit longer than planned.
    For the meantime I bought a aftermarket (cheap) radio but the problem with this aftermarket radio is that there isn’t a antenna wire to activate the power antenna.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use one of the switches in the centre console to activate the power antenna? And if so how can I activate the power antenna?

Thanks,
    Pascal

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The antenna signal wire is a pretty simple setup. Apply 12v to it and the antenna goes up. Switch off the power and the antenna goes down. So for a temporary solution, connect the signal wire to the switched 12v signal of the car (same wire that tells the radio it can run or not). That way it goes up when you start the car and goes down when you turn it off, regardless of whether you are using the radio or not. Much easier then manually switching it on and off via a dedicated switch. No harm really in having it up even when not in use while driving.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I was wondering if it would be possible to use one of the switches in the centre console to activate the power antenna? And if so how can I activate the power antenna?
    It should be possible.

Somebody can second this proposal: Try wiring the (+) wire of the antenna relay to the rear window defogger switch on the console. Connect it to the output (switched) terminal of that switch. The current needed to activate the antenna is lower than the defogger current so no fuse or wiring problem expected.

You'll give up operation of your rear defogger as a tradeoff.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It should be possible.

Somebody can second this proposal: Try wiring the (+) wire of the antenna relay to the rear window defogger switch on the console. Connect it to the output (switched) terminal of that switch. The current needed to activate the antenna is lower than the defogger current so no fuse or wiring problem expected.

You'll give up operation of your rear defogger as a tradeoff.
    Even easier - yank the defogger relay and find the switched lead from the defog switch there in the socket. Then you don't even need to go into the console and you can reverse it in a few minutes.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thank you for your suggestions.
    So if I am correct then a constant 12v flow to the power antenna will keep the antenna up and cutting the 12v flow will make it go down?

Pascal

yes, it's that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    yes, it's that easy.
    Thanks