FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Top Cruising Speed

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypenny View Post
    Good news; my brother informs me that he installed an Indiglo dash kit, which includes a 145mph speedo, so we're all set there.
    Mileage is going to be better than my CTS-V no matter what speed I go.
    Not a lot of cornering on South Dakota interstates. :-)
    You still need the higher pressures for lane change and exit ramps. Refer to L:12:01. It says for "High Speed", but doesn't specify what that is, 29 psi front and 34 psi rear.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6125

Wisconsin just passed a new law increasing freeway speeds from 65 to 70 mph so it's pretty common now to be moving at 75-80 mph to keep with the flow of traffic. My commute to work is 64 miles each way so I'm usually cruising just under 80 in my daily driver.

In the DeLorean I always feel safer going slightly faster than everyone on the road to reduce the risk of people lurking in my blind spot. I'm running eibach lowering springs with SPAX adjustable shocks, front LCA supports, all poly bushings, and a strut brace so the handling is greatly improved over stock. Prior to adding all the upgrade parts it would start to feel floaty above 75.

If I had to guess which upgrade helps the most I'd have to say the lowering springs are the biggest contributor to the improved ride. The suspension on my car was so high because of the tall springs I was basically at the end of travel before I'd top out the shock. Going over dips in the road felt like the tires were ready to leave the ground.

My VIN:    3944

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Between worrying about the cops just outright arresting you, or a stray cow killing you, it can wear you out.
    +1

Had my old BWM Z3 somewhere above 120mph in Montana for a few minutes. After a while I became a little nerve racked thinking about wild animals that could potentially cross my path.
    David, Companion of 3944: 1981, Stage II engine, manual transmission, black interior, lined hood with no gas flap.

My VIN:    03254

Condition of the vehicle is biggest issue. My car was lowered using Grady's Springs and I was running a set of shocks recommended by the folks at Mid-sixties Delorean Club.

I also don't buy that there is a difference in automatic vs a manual. I've driven both for long stretches. They both can comfortably exceed the speed limit for long stretches of time. In fact I went from Dallas to Denver in one day once and averaged 88 mph in an automatic. So I didn't travel in time. I even had one extremely safe from the law area where I was well over 100mph for several miles.

A good condition car will smoke down the road same as any other car. I've never been in a floaty front end car. Though I don't recommend any Delorean in the snow... now that's a floaty front end!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Dan Haney
    Rocky Mountain Deloreans
    Vin #'s 3254 & 3519

My VIN:    03254

Fastest I've ever been in my delorean and it was no different handling or ride than at 75... 119 mph according to the conversion tables...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Dan Haney
    Rocky Mountain Deloreans
    Vin #'s 3254 & 3519

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I had my car up to 130mph a couple years ago on a limited access toll road (with a rolling road block for a legal road rally). If I had more space/time I would have tried to go higher, but there was a lot of speed up->slow down->speed up->slow down during the rally. I've got Eibach springs, LCA brackets, and a shock tower strut bar, and though the car handled fine, I'm not sure I'd say it was comfortable. At that speed, the front end of the car really starts to float like you're on a cloud. I'd say right around 100mph can still be comfortable though with the suspension/handling upgrades.

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    If I had more spacetime.
    If you converted your car into a time machine, that would no longer be an issue or thing to worry about not having....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

I think it very much depends on the condition of your car. When I first got mine, 60mph was terrifying. The brakes sent you sideways, not backwards. Steering rack was shot, UJ loose, bushes rotted... Just trying to keep it in a straight line was a nightmare.

But five years and a full restoration later - running lowered front springs, SPAX, LCA reinforcements, full laser alignment etc - car felt pretty solid at 135mph on the autoroute in France (not sure it would have gone this fast before B28E engine swap, and it was downhill). Having said that, gearing and aerodynamics wise, car feels like it's in its sweet spot somewhere around 3400rpm in 5th - so about 90mph.
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3