FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire Inquiry

My VIN:    4115

Tire Inquiry

Hello Forum...

As we know, there currently are no "matched" tires of the original sizes that came on these cars. I'm going to be getting four new tires, so I'm curious what people's current opinions are. I have found some threads that are a few years old on this topic, so I'm seeing if there's any updated opinions.

Personally, I don't care about matching front/rear. What I want is the best balance, grippy enough up front so that it doesn't understeer like crazy, but not so grippy that the back end flies out too unpredictably. Likewise, I would like to find the grippiest rear tires as possible so as to make dangerous oversteer as difficult as possible.

In my current research I have found a few options for the rear at OEM size, but those options tend to be "classic" tires, not really designed for cornering performance. Downsizing to 225 in the rear opens up the playing field some, and there are more modern designs available. Will I get more grip from the OEM size because of the larger contact patch, despite the fact that the tires aren't "performance" tires, or will I get more grip from the more modern tires because of their design, even though the contact patch is smaller?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice I receive!

My VIN:    6472

This is what I'm running:

BF Goodrich G-force Super Sport - 195/60/14
    BF Goodrich Radial T/A - 235/60/15

Very happy with them. You can look up the specs for these on BFG website. I'm not a fan of down-sizing the tires, especially since there are stock sizes still available.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

In 11 years of ownership, I've never had matching tires! One day maybe. My last set of rear tires, I decided to go with the smaller size due to needing replacements ASAP and had to go with what they had on-hand. I figured just about any tire today will have way better grip then tires made in 1981. So despite the slight drop in patch contact, I should be fine in regards to handling. Now I don't auto cross or push the car that hard in turns, but it's never broken lose before.

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

On my wife's DeLorean with Eibach springs, I bought a matching (with 225s in the rear) set of Falken Ziex 329 tires. They're a performance rated all season tire, so the cornering performance should be more than adequate for spirited driving. I think Dave Swingle said in another thread that the difference in the tire tread width between a 225 and 235 tire was something like a quarter of an inch. Whatever the amount was, it was small.

On my DeLorean with Grady front springs and stock rear springs, I wanted to have a matching set of raised white letter tires. I bought BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires with 215/60 tires up front and 245/60 tires in the rear. Previously, my car had Cooper Cobras with 215s and 235s, and the oversized fronts made the rear tires look small by comparison. The 215/245 combination looks very good.

Most of my cars are classics (look at my signature), and I've autocrossed and drag raced my 79 Vette with 255/60R15 BF Goodrich tires. They definitely hold up when it comes to spirited driving, though some larger rims with thinner tires might help with autocrossing. But, that would require changing the rims, which I don't really want to do. When the tires did come loose on my 79 Vette during autocrossing, it was very predictable, and I was able to get control back very easily. Keep in mind the weight distribution on the Vette is 50/50, but I was/am happy with the tires.

The Michelin Pilot and Falken 7xx tires that some used with 225s in the rear have been discontinued. I know DPI recommended Kumho tires with 225s in the rear. My friend has those on his car and they work fine, but I heard a rumor that they may have been recently discontinued.

Both of the tire sets I mentioned above are available at Pep Boys, though you may have to order some of the sizes. I had the tires replaced on both DeLoreans within the last year, and am happy with both sets.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    On my wife's DeLorean with Eibach springs, I bought a matching (with 225s in the rear) set of Falken Ziex 329 tires. They're a performance rated all season tire, so the cornering performance should be more than adequate for spirited driving. I think Dave Swingle said in another thread that the difference in the tire tread width between a 225 and 235 tire was something like a quarter of an inch. Whatever the amount was, it was small.

On my DeLorean with Grady front springs and stock rear springs, I wanted to have a matching set of raised white letter tires. I bought BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires with 215/60 tires up front and 245/60 tires in the rear. Previously, my car had Cooper Cobras with 215s and 235s, and the oversized fronts made the rear tires look small by comparison. The 215/245 combination looks very good.

Most of my cars are classics (look at my signature), and I've autocrossed and drag raced my 79 Vette with 255/60R15 BF Goodrich tires. They definitely hold up when it comes to spirited driving, though some larger rims with thinner tires might help with autocrossing. But, that would require changing the rims, which I don't really want to do. When the tires did come loose on my 79 Vette during autocrossing, it was very predictable, and I was able to get control back very easily. Keep in mind the weight distribution on the Vette is 50/50, but I was/am happy with the tires.

The Michelin Pilot and Falken 7xx tires that some used with 225s in the rear have been discontinued. I know DPI recommended Kumho tires with 225s in the rear. My friend has those on his car and they work fine, but I heard a rumor that they may have been recently discontinued.

Both of the tire sets I mentioned above are available at Pep Boys, though you may have to order some of the sizes. I had the tires replaced on both DeLoreans within the last year, and am happy with both sets.
    If the 215s fit for you up front im definitely going that route when I need new tires. I had heard 215s would rub all over the place, but never saw them on a car so its all just hearsay.

Currently I am running 195 fronts and 245 rears, Cooper Cobras. DMCEU springs up front and stock springs out back, love the rake!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

On my DeLorean with Grady front springs and stock rear springs, I wanted to have a matching set of raised white letter tires. I bought BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires with 215/60 tires up front and 245/60 tires in the rear.
    I too am really want to have raised white letters and was contemplating the Radial T/A 205/70/14 up front and 235/70/15 for the rears. However, I was warned the taller sidewalls might flex too much while cornering. You're choice seems a viable option. Can you post a picture so we can see the size relativity?

I'm also curious if the side wall height ratio would make a stock suspension nose high. Pardon my ignorance, are the Grady springs lower than stock on the front? That said, you've had no problems with either fronts or back rubbing?

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If the 215s fit for you up front im definitely going that route when I need new tires. I had heard 215s would rub all over the place, but never saw them on a car so its all just hearsay.

Currently I am running 195 fronts and 245 rears, Cooper Cobras. DMCEU springs up front and stock springs out back, love the rake!
    The Cooper Cobra 215s would rub a little at full lock all the way to the left. Then again, so do the 195s on my wife's DeLorean. I'm also not sure that the steering rack is perfectly centered on either car when the car is going straight, so it could be turning farther to the left than it should be. Either way, the rubbing was only minimal and only at full lock to the left.

The BF Goodrich 215s don't rub at all on my car. I did mention that I had Grady springs on my car with the 215s. I'm not sure if the 215s (or 245s) would work on my wife's car. The Eibach front springs on her car are collapsing (As they have a reputation of doing), so her car is pretty low in the front. The Eibach rear springs also sit pretty low, so I'm not sure if the 245s would fit or not. I'll probably be replacing the springs on her DeLorean soon with the same spring setup I have on my car, as her car has also scraped on the road and bottomed out a few times.

So, my experience has been that they fit on my car. I've seen at least one other car with 215 BF Goodrich T/As up front, but I don't want to guarantee they'll work on every car, especially with all the different spring setups available.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I too am really want to have raised white letters and was contemplating the Radial T/A 205/70/14 up front and 235/70/15 for the rears. However, I was warned the taller sidewalls might flex too much while cornering. You're choice seems a viable option. Can you post a picture so we can see the size relativity?

I'm also curious if the side wall height ratio would make a stock suspension nose high. Pardon my ignorance, are the Grady springs lower than stock on the front? That said, you've had no problems with either fronts or back rubbing?

Cheers
    Steven
    Sorry, I didn't see your comment, as it was probably posted while typing my other reply.

The Grady springs are lower than stock. They lower the front in order to match the look of the rear stock springs while keeping the spring rate the same. Grady fronts and stock rears are my favorite spring setup on these cars. With the 215/245 combination from BF Goodrich, I haven't had any problems with rubbing at all on my car. Of course, every car is slightly different, so your results may vary. I have seen a few other DeLoreans with 215s in the front, though.

Here is a picture of my car with the BFG RWL tires.

DeLorean RWL Tires.jpg
    -Derrin

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Sorry, I didn't see your comment, as it was probably posted while typing my other reply.

The Grady springs are lower than stock. They lower the front in order to match the look of the rear stock springs while keeping the spring rate the same. Grady fronts and stock rears are my favorite spring setup on these cars. With the 215/245 combination from BF Goodrich, I haven't had any problems with rubbing at all on my car. Of course, every car is slightly different, so your results may vary. I have seen a few other DeLoreans with 215s in the front, though.

Here is a picture of my car with the BFG RWL tires.

DeLorean RWL Tires.jpg
    That looks awesome, Derrin.

I think I'm going this route. My fronts are pretty worn and due for replacement and the price and look of the Radial TAs is what I'm after.
    That said, if my front end looks a little too high with the 215/60 ratio I guess I'll just HAVE to get Grady's kit. Darn!

Thanks for the info!

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    6472

The Eibach front springs on her car are collapsing (As they have a reputation of doing), so her car is pretty low in the front.
    Are you saying Eibach springs start to sit lower over time?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast