FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So... looks like my alternator gave up...

My VIN:    3757

So... looks like my alternator gave up...

Ok,

It was replaced about 3 years ago at DMC CA... what is the BEST replacement to get? It was their Upgraded one, rewired. higher amps... Anybody have info on where and which replacement would be best?

Not happy, it has about 3000 miles on it, still LOOKS NEW......

Thanks,
    Craig

My VIN:    6472

When you turn your key on, does the battery light on the dash come on? If it doesn't, you may just need to replace the bulb for the alternator to work.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The 140amp Motorola?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

This isn't answering your question so apologies but did you get the alternator bench tested? Might just be the regulator which is a lot cheaper than replacing the entire unit.

If I needed a new alternator (my car is mostly stock i.e. no killer stereo amps, subwoofer or other power hungry accessories) I think I would get the lowest cost unit I could find since our cars seem to wear out alternators at higher rates than other cars. I remember someone mentioning that the alternator gets decreased airflow being in the rear of the car and it seems to wear them out more quickly than front mounted ones. Just my thoughts
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I remember someone mentioning that the alternator gets decreased airflow being in the rear of the car and it seems to wear them out more quickly than front mounted ones. Just my thoughts
    Agreed, and I'm sure the placement near the right exhaust manifold doesn't help either. I put heat shielding on the wires due to the close proximity.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Easy decision. Get one from Autozone with a lifetime warranty. Part number DL1315-5-3. You can use my s/s upper mounting bracket to make the installation easier. Just swap the pulley and splice in the pigtail (if you had a SpecialT alternator, you already have it).

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Go online and find a place that will sell a CS-130 Alternator with the Iceberg upgrade kit. I had alternators that would die all the time in my car. I got tired of it and spent the extra money and got one with the Iceberg Kit and it has been working fine for many thousands of miles (since 2010, I think at the DCS carshow that year I was in the 20k category and I upgraded right after the show, the car now has just over 60k). The main reason I went with this is the back housing is changed to one that acts as a giant heat sink and the internals are upgraded to higher specs to withstand the high temperatures.

https://alternatorparts.com/7130-7140.html

In a bind you can always swap in a standard CS-130 from Autozone/Advance Auto Parts as well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

You've got a variety of Autozone (or Advance/Pep Boys/O'Reilly) options. I'm running a Volvo unit that basically mirrors the original Motorola. Disadvantage is it needs to be transferred in from a warehouse. I believe the Saturn unit is a stock item.

I've found Autozone's computer system preferable to Advance. Autozone has honored warranties for me going all the way back to the 1990's.

Being turned around backwards, the fan blades on our alternators are all but useless. Heat is their killer. Buy one with a lifetime warranty and you'll be fine.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    3294

My alternator went out last fall and I replaced it with a 100 amp 1984 Cadillac Eldorado alternator from O'Reilly Auto Parts with a lifetime warranty. On my car, the previous owner had swapped out the factory original long ago, to something similar to what I bought, so the connectors and such were already there. I purchased a stainless steel tensioning bracket off of ebay that works perfectly. Haven't had any issues at all with either the alternator or the bracket since I installed them.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    3757

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    When you turn your key on, does the battery light on the dash come on? If it doesn't, you may just need to replace the bulb for the alternator to work.
    Hummmmm, All I get is the Door open, Oil, and Brake... I never really paid attention to the light before, if it was on before... So What bulb is it, and how do you get to it to replace it?

Craig

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast