View Poll Results: White or Blue Flux Bands

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • White

10 38.46%
  • Blue

16 61.54%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Accurate Flux Bands (Blue vs. White)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Weaver II View Post
    Just do whatever damn color you want and don't worry about the debates with "experts".

https://www.facebook.com/bttfparts/v...2354867220646/

https://www.facebook.com/bttfparts/v...9090964547036/

I remember Kevin telling me nearly 15 years ago that the neon shop they used kept the 1/4" pencil rod templates for the neon on hand because they were having to replace it so often on the set.

There are plenty of options available these days that honestly make real neon obsolete. 15 years ago it was EL wire, then followed by LED Neon, and I've finally seen RGB neon strips small enough, bright enough, and cheap enough that you can utilize them for your exterior lighting.

-Gary
    Perfect Solution Gary! Very nice indeed. As are most of the stuff you put out.

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Weaver II View Post
    There are plenty of options available these days that honestly make real neon obsolete. 15 years ago it was EL wire, then followed by LED Neon, and I've finally seen RGB neon strips small enough, bright enough, and cheap enough that you can utilize them for your exterior lighting.
    And the RGB strips satisfy any color needs, on the fly

Just leave me out of it..

Exactly. I was shocked at how well it worked and looked the last time I took it out.

11059733_705054912950641_8678706544278319674_n.jpg

11709496_705054929617306_7755221531176502631_n.jpg

-Gary

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Last edited by Gary Weaver II; 04-06-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Jeez does anyone here read through a thread before replying?

Post #8
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Attention Whore

OK, let's just get some quick facts so there is no confusion.
    Which car are we talking about?
    When was the neon added to the car?
    What is the oldest date stamp you can show me of this?

The earliest photo I have found of my #6 build with the white neon tube was March 11th, 2011.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    If you want to engage me in a pissing match about who did what first I'm not going to participate any further.

But you are wrong about the neon color in the photo I posted. It is white, not aqua. That photo actually illustrates how white neon can appear blueish in photos when in person it looks pure white.
    Last edited by videobob; 04-07-2016 at 04:20 PM.

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Jeez does anyone here read through a thread before replying?

Post #8
    Dang. Read it, forgot, read it again, replied. You caught me

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by videobob View Post
    Mark, as far as I know, my 6th build, was the first replica to feature real white neon tubes, as seen on the Discovery Channel show, "Auction Kings" in 2011.
    My 7th car also featured them as well, but I decided not to continue to use them because of the breakage issues, the "corona" effect experienced in the static electricity build up on the bands and mesh that would give mild shocks when touched.
    Also, powering the 15,000 volt transformer was consuming.

This is a video of car #6 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOxrK-mYyw
    This is Kevin Pike showing off the car - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHv1QYIHX98
    This is the actual episode it was featured on - https://youtu.be/0dXi6Gu96tE?list=PL...vmWDvo-TRZNxY0
    This is a long time lapse of build #7 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Qr5uni3AY

I have built all of my 24 builds with white lighting, as far as I know, I am the only one to do so.
    Almost every single other Time Machine replica built has blue or aqua lighting, I like this, it sets my cars apart from everyone else.
    I like the way the white light looks, it is also legal to operate in all states where as it is illegal to have blue lights of any kind on your car (in most states).
    The blue lights tend to look very purple on camera, blue light doesn't look natural in my opinion.
    That being said, In all the years of my showing these cars no one has even mentioned the color of the bands.

I say that you should build your car for you the way you want it.
    Question Videobob. Do you have any video of Cars 1 (yours) thru 5? Just color me a historian and wonder how you came by how you got to where you are at by the 24th car.

I know you said that you looked at the movie for pieces and parts but was the search/build mostly by trial and error? Or were you able to get some drawings from Kevin Pike? I always find it interesting to see how things came to be.

I always found prequel movies/stories like X-Men First Class (IE your cars 1 -5), to be interesting and what made you wake up one day and go "I think it would be a cool idea to buy a DeLorean and make it into a Time Machine" Did you fabricate your flux boxes initially or buy them?

Did people think you were nutty or off after you built the first one?

Sorry for the many questions.

--Doug

(By the way, I voted for white bands lol)
    Last edited by aotmfilms; 04-14-2016 at 12:40 PM. Reason: clarity
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

Attention Whore

I do have albums of all of the cars I have built on my facebook, https://www.facebook.com/bobspropsho...=photos_albums
    However, I didn't start this page until 2011, but I started by journey with the Delorean Time Machine in 2003.
    (I used to have all this stuff on my Myspace page lol)
    I started building BTTF props in the summer of 2003 before I got my first Delorean in November 2003.
    I began with the simple metal props such as the Drive Switch, Plutonium Gauges, Upper Console, etc., I also started my now defunct website bttfstuff.com about that time.
    I attended the 2004 Delorean Car Show in Pigeon Forge TN where I first met Claudia Wells, Andrew Probert, Bob Gale and others who helped me search for information.
    In 2005 I made my first trip to Universal Studios Hollywood to take photos of the A car and the display car.
    Early on I made a lot of my own parts out of wood, such as my first Flux Boxes. Other things were modified found parts.
    It wasn't until 2007 or 2008 that I got resin casts of the flux boxes from Joe Walser, at that time, I was part of their "Fight Club" and I was making re-cast copies for everyone in the "club".
    The entire reason I got into casting parts was that part of my job in the Fight Club to was to make molds and copies of parts that Joe, Ken and others would "acquire" and then I would
    make copies of the parts for club members at cost, all the while getting the parts for myself.
    This is one way that I managed to get a lot of my original source parts.
    Otherwise, I got lots of parts myself by making road trips to LA's Apex and other shops, as well as surplus shops all around the country, in AZ, Florida and other places.
    I spent countless miles and dollars chasing all this stuff down over the years.
    Other fans would trade me or sell me the things I needed in order to get something they needed from me.
    The more I had to offer the more I could get.

I will be honest, I am not proud of my first 5 cars.
    They were not very good, I admit that. I was using a lot of inaccurate parts and substitutions and they were built quickly.
    It was not until my 6th car that I decided to put some real effort into it.
    I was inspired by the replica that Joe Walser had build and sold on the show "Hollywood Treasures" for $100K and it proved to me that these cars could be sold for more if they were built right.
    Kevin also mentored me and guided me to reach within myself and do a better job.
    I made another trip to LA to visit Kevin and I stayed with him for a few days and we made this little video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X_...ature=youtu.be
    * Look at all my other videos to see more of this history of my cars *

This was a simple demo reel, or pilot episode for what eventually became my reality TV show Screen Machines on the Reelz Channel.
    I showed this to the producers at Discovery Channel when I was on the show "Auction Kings" and they were impressed enough to come and shoot a sizzle reel on me.
    It took almost 3 years to get it produced and sold, we only did 6 episodes but it was an amazing ride!
    (the show is currently running in Europe and SE Asia)

Anyway, since I started doing this in 2004, one of my tactics was to horde all the parts I could find.
    When I was fortunate enough to find the correct parts I knew that I would most likely never find those parts again, so I would buy every single one of them I could.
    I caught a lot of flack for that as others insisted I share with them, but they didn't have to scour junkyards from coast to coast with a flashlight to find this stuff, I did!!
    This was the reason the Time Machine Restoration Team needed to come to me for the parts that could not be found, I donated them to the project and there are lots of my parts on the A car.
    The other function I performed for the team was building replica parts for them to trade in exchange for other parts.
    You see, there were other cars out there in the world with A car parts on them that they needed to get and I helped make that possible

After the A car was restored it became the new bar of reference.
    I took a million photos of it and we use this book of pictures as reference when we are building our cars.
    We have jigs, templates, molds and lots of reference material now and we can build the cars exactly as the original (within reason).
    There are some parts that can't be found again, so we make them out of resin, fiberglass and some are actually cast in real metal.
    We are just finishing up our 24th Time Machine right now and there is no end in site as we have a long line of waiting customers.
    My "competition" will never be able to truly build cars as good as ours for the simple reason that they don't have the stuff that we have.
    We have the ONLY remaining inventory of certain parts, the only known originals of certain parts that we replicate in our molds, jigs and templates
    and all the the other guys can do is either try to make similar copies of what we do or make substitutions.
    Our experience and volume allows us to afford to have metal parts cut on CNC machines, cast in real metal and have special electronics made for us that is only
    affordable when purchased in bulk.
    I am friendly with some of the other builders and others I am not, simply because we are fighting for a very small audience of customers.
    We have sold several million dollars worth of cars over the years and I am very proud of the cars we have been putting out over the last few years.

I hope this answers your questions!
    Thanks,
    - Bob

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    Question Videobob. Do you have any video of Cars 1 (yours) thru 5? Just color me a historian and wonder how you came by how you got to where you are at by the 24th car.

I know you said that you looked at the movie for pieces and parts but was the search/build mostly by trial and error? Or were you able to get some drawings from Kevin Pike? I always find it interesting to see how things came to be.

I always found prequel movies/stories like X-Men First Class (IE your cars 1 -5), to be interesting and what made you wake up one day and go "I think it would be a cool idea to buy a DeLorean and make it into a Time Machine" Did you fabricate your flux boxes initially or buy them?

Did people think you were nutty or off after you built the first one?

Sorry for the many questions.

--Doug

(By the way, I voted for white bands lol)

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Videobob! Thank you for that informative answer. I will have to take the time and sit down to watch on YT and browse those early cars.

Not having seen the early cars except for your first one (your personal one? I guess), I keep on going back and forth if I want to drill into the stainless. Was your intention ever to keep your original D stock or was there always plans to convert it?

My reasoning on eventually to convert it is because the car is generally worth more. Stock price is about 25 to 35k whereas a BTTF D is about 75k. I just can't bring myself to drill the stainless. The rest would be fine. Just wonder how you first did it??

I'm a BTTF fan but also being from Detroit, a DeLorean fan (I drive by the GM Tech Center here in Warren in the D with the middle finger held high lol) so that is why the back and forth.

So in a nutshell, was it hard drilling the Stainless the first time?

--Doug
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    . Stock price is about 25 to 35k whereas a BTTF D is about 75k. I just can't bring myself to drill the stainless. The rest would be fine. Just wonder how you first did it??
    How long are you going to keep it? At some point I'll bet this reverses, unless it's a "not so nice" stock car.

I'd also start watching the RESALE (i.e. next owner) prices of conversions, not the ones made for the first buyer. That is more indicative of market value.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast