View Poll Results: White or Blue Flux Bands

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • White

10 38.46%
  • Blue

16 61.54%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Accurate Flux Bands (Blue vs. White)

Bob,

If someone commissioned you to build them a Time Machine Replica, and they wanted the lights more blue than white, would you do that, since of course, that is what the paying customer wanted. Or would that be out of the question? Good reply though.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by videobob View Post
    Mark, as far as I know, my 6th build, was the first replica to feature real white neon tubes, as seen on the Discovery Channel show, "Auction Kings" in 2011.
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't know about this car on display at the hotwheels booth for San Diego Comic Con 2011... it was built before your #6 car by Joe Walser and a few of the other TMR guys. I'm surprised (and simultaneously not surprised) you think you were the first to do neon on a time machine replica.

San_Diego_Comic-Con_2011_-_the_Back_to_the_Future_Delorean_(Mattel_booth)_(5977355864).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't know about this car on display at the hotwheels booth for San Diego Comic Con 2011... it was built before your #6 car by Joe Walser and a few of the other TMR guys. I'm surprised (and simultaneously not surprised) you think you were the first to do neon on a time machine replica.

San_Diego_Comic-Con_2011_-_the_Back_to_the_Future_Delorean_(Mattel_booth)_(5977355864).jpg
    That is a damn nice replica as well!

B8-J7N3IMAAqYJ3.jpg

Attention Whore

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerGuY View Post
    Bob,

If someone commissioned you to build them a Time Machine Replica, and they wanted the lights more blue than white, would you do that, since of course, that is what the paying customer wanted. Or would that be out of the question? Good reply though.
    No, I would not.
    I admit that I built some in-accurate cars in the beginning, but I learned that chasing a quick buck and changing things to meet a customers lower budget or design ideas won't make me look good in the end.
    I only offer the car as screen accurate and to my standards as I can or I won't do it.
    I have been asked to change things for people and with the exception of functional safety add on's such as a back up camera, I will refuse to change colors, or add carnival lights and things like that.
    Ultimately I think that upholding my integrity in my builds has paid off, we have done 24 of these cars selling for in excess of $100K each, sold to celebrities and such, taking first place in competitions against other builders
    as well as being featured on numerous news shows, (internationally) as well as getting a show of my own.
    Kevin Pike told me, "Don't be a hack, if you are going to do it, do it right".
    He explained to me there is not as much artistic license in these builds as people think, the director(s) instructed the story board artists (Ron Cobb and Andrew Probert) as to what they wanted illustrated and it was Kevin's job
    to make sure his team replicated what was in the drawings.
    If I am to re-create what they did I must do it in the same fashion with the same parts and in the same ways, with some substations being acceptable such as the use of LED's and other modern technology, as long as it is done
    with stealth and savvy.
    Other builders use lights in places there was never light, blinking strobes, sound effects that don't belong, etc.
    It comes off like those cheap knock off toys from China where every thing is wrong, out of proportion and the wrong color.

Sorry for the long rant, but I thought I would explain why I feel the way I do and why I do things this way.
    I have great respect for this piece of modern art sculpture and I find it insulting to the artist to effectively draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa by doing it "my way with style".
    I do it right, or I don't do it.
    Thanks.

Attention Whore

My car was built with neon BEFORE Terry and Joe added it to Terry's car, further more, Terry chose to put aqua blue neon on his car, inaccurately.
    So this means that my #6 and #7 cars have been the only replicas to date with the correct, 10mm white phosphorescent neon tubing on the car as Kevin and his team did in 1985.
    Thank you.

blue or white

i prefer the white I had my flux fluxing in the car (white) and when i took a picture on my camera or filmed it fluxing it went blue and looked exactly like on screen in the movie

i am guessing a lot of people have flux caps here, go and give it a try it awse! a little off topic but i feel its worth the rant :-) james

Bob,

I see what you're saying. I am in favor of the blue, but I wouldn't be opposed to white as it is authentic to the movie car. As for all the other lights that other people put on their cars, I'm not really a fan, aside from the light on the wormhole emitter which I think is cool. There are plenty of other lights inside the car that make up for adding additional lights that were never meant to be there.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by videobob View Post
    My car was built with neon BEFORE Terry and Joe added it to Terry's car, further more, Terry chose to put aqua blue neon on his car, inaccurately.
    So this means that my #6 and #7 cars have been the only replicas to date with the correct, 10mm white phosphorescent neon tubing on the car as Kevin and his team did in 1985.
    Thank you.
    If you want to engage me in a pissing match about who did what first I'm not going to participate any further.

But you are wrong about the neon color in the photo I posted. It is white, not aqua. That photo actually illustrates how white neon can appear blueish in photos when in person it looks pure white.

Just leave me out of it..

Just do whatever damn color you want and don't worry about the debates with "experts".

https://www.facebook.com/bttfparts/v...2354867220646/

https://www.facebook.com/bttfparts/v...9090964547036/

I remember Kevin telling me nearly 15 years ago that the neon shop they used kept the 1/4" pencil rod templates for the neon on hand because they were having to replace it so often on the set.

There are plenty of options available these days that honestly make real neon obsolete. 15 years ago it was EL wire, then followed by LED Neon, and I've finally seen RGB neon strips small enough, bright enough, and cheap enough that you can utilize them for your exterior lighting.

-Gary

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast