FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: annoying buzzer

My VIN:    6679

So there's a door buzzer!

I have corrected a crapload of random things over the past month while working on my D, and today when I went to fire her up for the first time an insane buzzing noise started the second I slid my key in. Took me a while to work it out, as I thought a relay was going spastic, but then remembered one of the many hanging cables I had reconnected was one of the door switches... pushed the switches in and the buzzing stopped, so just reached under and ripped the cable back out of the bottom one.

What an annoying sound! Now a sexy voice or chime on the other hand...

Odd that it would alarm for something so obvious like this, but not headlights (which I know because my daughter keeps playing with them). Might have to wire up an auto-circuit so they self-time off when the car is off like my other cars.
    Chris

My VIN:    16409

Disabling Buzzer on Start Up

So when you start the car, the buzzer goes off to remind you to buckle your seatbelt. The light in the binnacle also lights up for a few seconds to remind you to buckle up as well. I like seeing the light but not hearing the buzzer. I suppose I can just buckle up before I start the car, but that would be too easy. I decided to trick the buzzer module into thinking the seatbelt was always buckled. To do this I put a piece of electrical tape over one of the module's pins.

Courtesy of Welmoed

Pins on the buzzer plug are:
    1 - Power 12V (Purple)
    2 - door switch (Purple/Blue)
    3 - seat belt switch (Black/Purple)
    4 - seat belt warning light (Yellow/Purple)
    5 - GND
    6 - IGN lock while running (White/Red)

Look at the module and see which pin connects to the seat belt switch wire (Black/Purple). Put your piece of tape pn this pin (it's two away from the solid purple one). Now, the buzzer will operate when the key is in the ignition and the door is ajar. But not with the door closed and when you start the car without having buckeld up first. I even have a cut off switch going to the buzzer door plunger so I can really turn it off. My main goal was to maintain seltbelt light functionality without hearing the buzzer. if you just unplug the buzzer you get no seatbelt light. That's at least how my car works.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Sorry to resurrect another thread but thanks to a fellow DCF member I finally got motivated to document this project a little bit more thoroughly. He's testing it out right now to verify that I've got it all working but here's the schematic at the moment:

delorean buzzer.jpg

This is taken pin for pin from my working installation as of tonight. I will correct this if any mistakes are found but you SHOULD be able to duplicate the functionality I have with the same chime unit. Hopefully this is a little easier than tapping wires together and hoping it works. Between this and Welmoed's info you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

I am going to redo my connector that splices this into the harness and explore the headlight warning option since this wiring setup leaves one "trigger" pin unconnected. If I get it to work I will add that info as well. I believe the logic of "key not in switch, headlights on, turn on chime" is all present inside the module, it's just trying to figure out if it expects a positive or negative input that gets interesting.
    Attached Images
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Sorry to resurrect another thread but thanks to a fellow DCF member I finally got motivated to document this project a little bit more thoroughly. He's testing it out right now to verify that I've got it all working but here's the schematic at the moment:

delorean buzzer.jpg

This is taken pin for pin from my working installation as of tonight. I will correct this if any mistakes are found but you SHOULD be able to duplicate the functionality I have with the same chime unit. Hopefully this is a little easier than tapping wires together and hoping it works. Between this and Welmoed's info you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever.

I am going to redo my connector that splices this into the harness and explore the headlight warning option since this wiring setup leaves one "trigger" pin unconnected. If I get it to work I will add that info as well. I believe the logic of "key not in switch, headlights on, turn on chime" is all present inside the module, it's just trying to figure out if it expects a positive or negative input that gets interesting.
    No 5 expects a positive signal, so either side parking lights will do to provide this power.
    I have chosen to connect to one of the red/black or red/orange wires in the big loom to the front of the car (near the driver's feet).
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Buzzer

Hi All ! My delorean does not have the buzzer, so seat belt light in the dash does not work. I was wodering if I can curt circuit black and purple wire to yellow and purple wires. Will this work ?

My VIN:    SCEDT26T2BD001559

re:

Well I have my Cadillac buzzer and have a old mgb pecktron seat belt buzzer. I did not see where the ground wire connects to. Am I missing something? Thanks again Tony

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post

delorean buzzer.jpg

Just wanted to bump this thread. I finally tracked down the GM harness connector for the door chime, so I am going to wire that in and replace the many female terminals I am using now for mine. I may also try to wire in the warning when the headlights are on...
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Just wanted to bump this thread. I finally tracked down the GM harness connector for the door chime, so I am going to wire that in and replace the many female terminals I am using now for mine. I may also try to wire in the warning when the headlights are on...
    Also, I don't believe the wiring diagram above to be correct...I will continue playing with this and post the correct wiring for others who want to attempt this.

For one, there is no ground wire mentioned in AdmiralSenn's diagram, so I don't believe that to be correct.

Second, Welmoed's advice about switching a red/white wire by the pedal seems like that may be critical to getting the seat belt chime and light working (my seat belt chime has never worked in 8 years since installing the Cadillac Chime...thought I got it today but it continues chiming with the car off and seatbelt unbuckled):

Guys,

My chimer is working.
    I checked with Bitsyncmaster some indistinctnesses in the wiring diagram.

From this info exchange I learned that the white/red wire to the buzzer connector is not attached to the right source.
    This wire has to be connected to the white wire that leads to the main relay.

The white connector in the loom between IGN lock and main loom (down deep near the pedals) has two white/red wires at the pedal side of the connector. One is for the buzzer and is a bit thinner than the other leading to the main relay.

The easiest way to connect the white/red buzzer wire to the white wire is cut it near the white connector (approx 1.5-2 inch from it?) and splice it into the white wire.

Some cars may have the correct wiring and in this case you don't need to cut and splice.

If you want me to do so, I can make a write-up with pictures for the general diagram section. Let me know."
    Last edited by Patrick C; 05-14-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Here’s my current wiring setup:

And a video of the current functionality:
    https://youtu.be/sOeiTnsQLPY

Anyone have any tips to make the seatbelt chime work as designed?
    Last edited by Patrick C; 05-14-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

It's entirely possible I got something wrong on my diagram but I know my chime was working when I last had a battery in the car. Let me see if I can get into it and I'll confirm how it's set up now. I do remember I had endless problems getting a ground that worked correctly, and I was surprised when I got it working as it didn't make immediate sense to me. I do remember trying to ground a few pins and getting bizarre results from it - unfortunately I don't have a diagram of the internal circuit so it was a lot of trial and error.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast