FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: annoying buzzer

My VIN:    16419

annoying buzzer

Does anyone know how to turn off that annoying buzzer when you start the car? It is like my old 280z buzzer.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Disconnect this guy under the dash:

100464.jpg
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    00910

Quote Originally Posted by jfirios View Post
    Does anyone know how to turn off that annoying buzzer when you start the car? It is like my old 280z buzzer.
    Look on the triangular flat piece of metal attached to the steering column under the dash. The buzzer looks like a small speaker. Pull the wires and silence. I personally like the 1980's buzzer!

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    Look on the triangular flat piece of metal attached to the steering column under the dash. The buzzer looks like a small speaker. Pull the wires and silence. I personally like the 1980's buzzer!
    Yeah - that thing.
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

My VIN:    16409

-Edit, everyone beat me to the punch- You can disconnect the plug that goes to the buzzer unit. It's under the dash. This will turn the buzzer off completely. Alternatively, if you just want it to buzz to remind you to fasten your seat belt, then you can just unplug the buzzer door switch (plunger). On my car, the buzzer was disconnected, and the seat belt light would never come on. I think the buzzer may be required for the light to come on. I like to see the seat belt light when I start the car. I've attached a picture of the location for reference.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 08-22-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

You may want to consider installing a chime unit from another car. It's pretty easy to wire in a GM chime module - I used one from a Cadillac that's a LOT less annoying and even has different speeds for different alarms.

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    You may want to consider installing a chime unit from another car. It's pretty easy to wire in a GM chime module - I used one from a Cadillac that's a LOT less annoying and even has different speeds for different alarms.
    The Cadillac buzzer mod was talked about on the .com forum. What kind of wiring is required?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    16419

I love this site, you guys are awesome. Thanks.

My VIN:    05141

I'd like another buzzer as well. Modern cars have the more classy "bling-bling" types.

I'm at the other side of the atlantic, so I can not just walk into any pep-boys type store for a cadillac buzzer... "you want what???"

Cadillac is driving around here also, but if I wan ta buzzer, they'll probably charge me half the price of a new car.
    Anyone has a good European car alternative?

I guess rewiring is necessary no matter which brand buzzer.

John

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

I went to a junk yard and bought myself a couple of GM chimers for Pontiac.
    In my first (model 81, aug 81 ) car this worked nicely, but the same wiring now has difficulties chiming at the intended signals in the model 82 (nov 81) car.

I have some diagrams and changes made to it, but my guess is there's something different in the car's as it only chimes once when the car starts, not when the key is in the IGN lokck (that's when it started chiming in the original setup).

So I'm also interested in seeing the diagram of the Cadillac chimer version.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

This is the type you want: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item3ca9754bb2

Picture attached for when this thread comes up someday and that auction is gone. They go for ~$20-25 on ebay usually.

I do have a Cadillac wiring diagram that covers the door chime module, also attached - see page 51. This diagram *SHOULD* be the same for all GM units that look like the one above - boxy, speaker holes, seven pins. I think Welmoed had a picture of how he wired his that's also very helpful. Reading the diagram I provided, the pins are labeled A1-D1 and A2-D2. The pins ending in one are the for the group of three pins, the other four are for the other strip - there is no pin D1. If someone wants to do this I can go get my workshop journal where I mapped out what each pin does. The wiring isn't hard, it's just seven pins and I don't think I used all of them. A few female spade terminals and tapping them into the original connections somehow - maybe an hour's work tops.

It's a lot nicer than the factory unit. There may be a way to wire in a headlight switch warning as well, I believe the unit supports it.

As far as hooking it up, Welmoed actually made a little card that fits into the buzzer connector. I wasn't quite as neat about it and scotch-lok'd my leads into the appropriate wires. If you do this I recommend adding a connector of some kind so you can remove the unit later if you need to - I have a GM Weatherpak kit that I used to provide a quick disconnect option.

I may have a video of the module in action as well, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Welmoed, I can't find that diagram you posted (lost in the DMCTalk sea), but if you still have it I think it'd be a huge help for reference on this project.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast