FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking...Now What?

My VIN:    0726

looks great guys! Dave why are you so darn smart at everything, I don't even know where the brake master cylinder is. By the way, I'm only 10 min away from you in Albertville. Ive had the Delorean out quite a bit this year, running good so far.
    VIN 0726

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by ILM1010 View Post
    looks great guys! Dave why are you so darn smart at everything, I don't even know where the brake master cylinder is. By the way, I'm only 10 min away from you in Albertville. Ive had the Delorean out quite a bit this year, running good so far.
    Ha! Thanks. Everything I know I've learned from other owners, either here in MN, the NorCal club, or DMC Talk. Tech sessions are seriously the best way to learn how to do jobs on this car. That is 90% of where my confidence in working on various jobs has come from. Yay tech sessions! Speaking of which...Alan and I were talking about getting one going in May. Details to come!
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10091

Club(s):   (DCH)

Brake Master / reservoir leaking

My mc started to leak between seals and reservoir. Is this a mc failure or seal failure? The mc is two years old from DMCH with my original tank. Do I have an option here just to replace seals, and does anyone know a source for new ones? The only ones mentioned here are the Saab 900 mc seals. Do they even fit our masters? If any one has dealt with this issue can you please give me your thoughts. Thanks

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by yianni View Post
    My mc started to leak between seals and reservoir. Is this a mc failure or seal failure? The mc is two years old from DMCH with my original tank. Do I have an option here just to replace seals, and does anyone know a source for new ones? The only ones mentioned here are the Saab 900 mc seals. Do they even fit our masters? If any one has dealt with this issue can you please give me your thoughts. Thanks
    That sounds like exactly what I was dealing with: new(ish) leaking master cylinder at the reservoir seals. I think if you call any of the vendors they would have replacements for you. In my case I lost faith in the other seals on the master when those went out so I decided to replace the whole unit. If bad rubber is used in one place it is easy to assume similar type rubber is used elsewhere on the unit.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6679

Guttered to say I have had exactly the same failure.

Last week I spent three nights doing an intense clean for a major South Australian historic cruise my DeLorean finally qualifies for - I had noticed a small pool under the car but obviously assumed it was just some water, but on the third night began wondering why it was still there.

Sure enough, golden amber goodness... and it's everywhere, the paint is like melted cheese. Going to be one hell of a fix up job - what utterly infuriates me is that I had already done this massive job 5 years ago when I discovered there had been a leak from a prior owner, so had removed the tank and done a massive clean-up at the time. Now I have to do it all over again.

The hard lines and joins were bone dry on the outside, but underneath the master cylinder was damp. Narrowed it down to coming from between the reservoir and master cylinder, so the seals have given way.

In my case I got 5 years out of a brand new master cylinder from DMC MidWest - but that's still shocking, those seals shouldn't just fail in that length of time. Not happy with what has happened and the amount of work it's going to take fixing it up, not to mention losing out on going on that historic cruise and my entrant fee. Has been a depressing few days taking a breather on this, starting the strip-down job today. Totally shattered at what has happened.
    Chris

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you don't flush the brake fluid every other year you can expect to see problems with the brake system. The fluid should not be a golden amber. It should be clear to slightly milky white. As it absorbs moisture from the air, it gets darker and darker. If it is leaking from the reservoir seals it is possible you did not mount the reservoir correctly or you damaged the seals installing it. It can also leak if you put the reservoir on in the wrong direction. It will fit but it hits the booster and doesn't seal right and leaks. You must remove any epoxy that has detached from the metal, clean well, and repaint. To do a proper job may require removing the fuel tank.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you don't flush the brake fluid every other year you can expect to see problems with the brake system.
    I completely redid the brake system 5 years ago - rebuild the callipers, new master cylinder, and new lines. Since then I have flushed the brake system every ***12*** months, the last time was ***9*** months ago.

The fluid should not be a golden amber.
    Castro React Performance DOT4 looks clear to the eye but through light is a gorgeous golden amber, like looking at a tinted crystal or diamond. My brake fluid still looks exactly like it came straight out of the bottle. When it gets to 2+ years old it starts to head more a browny tint and then gets worse and worse. I flush mine every 12 months so it never looks anything like that, always a gorgeous slightly yellow tint.

If it is leaking from the reservoir seals it is possible you did not mount the reservoir correctly or you damaged the seals installing it. It can also leak if you put the reservoir on in the wrong direction.
    You can't mount it backwards and fit properly or even see the fill line. The reservoir nipples simply slide into the seal.

You must remove any epoxy that has detached from the metal, clean well, and repaint. To do a proper job may require removing the fuel tank.
    Yes as I said I mentioned I've done this job once before so I'm aware, and hence very unhappy, at having to do it all over again.
    Chris

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    Guttered to say I have had exactly the same failure.
    The hard lines and joins were bone dry on the outside, but underneath the master cylinder was damp. Narrowed it down to coming from between the reservoir and master cylinder, so the seals have given way.
    I have a friend that had bad reservoir seals out of the box. I think they just aren't that good of a seal. I believe he simply reused the seals from his original unit and never had another problem.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Here in the US we use Castrol DOT 4 Synthetic Brake Fluid formerly known as GTLMA. Maybe the stuff you are using doesn't work well with the rubber. If you bench-bleed the master with the reservoir on backwards and then install it, it will fit but not right and the seals will leak because the reservoir is hitting the booster. Just guessing about that one but worth mentioning. Sine you say you flush every 12 months, old, bad fluid is probably not the problem. Incompatibility may be the problem.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4