FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Brake Master Cylinder Leaking...Now What?

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I'm not sure why you are putting the vendor ahead of fellow owners in this case. 3 years is a terrible lifespan for those seals and you would be doing the community a service by letting us know whose they are. Likewise, the vendor should have the opportunity to stand behind their product and replace it. It is only through open dialogue that we as captive consumers of specialty car parts can hope to prevent total monopoly of supply.
    What? I thought that 3 years was the average life span for Delorean parts. If I can get 5 years, I would be super happy. But for my Lexus, I expect 20+ years.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    What? I thought that 3 years was the average life span for Delorean parts. If I can get 5 years, I would be super happy. But for my Lexus, I expect 20+ years.
    Yeah, you have had the absolute worst luck. I think you or your car may be cursed. Compared to what you have had to deal with I guess I shouldn't complain!
    David Proehl

Saab xRef from O'Reilly has a lifetime warranty: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...der_1265307_-1

Unit is proportioned 50/50, but quite a few owners are running one without incident.

eBay and Amazon also are full of them, sans lifetime warranty of course. You can get one with a new reservoir already attached.

Reservoir seals on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1988-19...tT7db9&vxp=mtr

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Saab xRef from O'Reilly has a lifetime warranty: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...der_1265307_-1

Unit is proportioned 50/50, but quite a few owners are running one without incident.

eBay and Amazon also are full of them, sans lifetime warranty of course. You can get one with a new reservoir already attached.

Reservoir seals on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1988-19...tT7db9&vxp=mtr

Bill Robertson
    Thanks for the tip on the O'Reilly units. Didn't realize my local parts store had an option.
    David Proehl

Local parts house may not have a free replacement if/when time comes. Autozone used to sell Saab brake masters with lifetime warranty as well, but no longer stocks them. Competition in the parts business is fierce so they drop parts that don't sell enough to be profitable.

xRefs will be available on eBay far into the future (don't forget to search British eBay: www.ebay.co.uk).

As stated, the Saab unit is proportioned 50/50. I spoke with an owner at the DMCMW open house who's running one no problem.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    4941

Has anyone tried silicone brake fluid in their D? Does not draw moisture. Brake components last much longer...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    Has anyone tried silicone brake fluid in their D? Does not draw moisture. Brake components last much longer...
    Although silicone brake fluid, aka DOT 5, does not absorb moisture it is not meant for our brake system for 2 reasons. Just because of that fact, that it will not absorb moisture, any moisture that does get into the system will lay there in a bubble and rot the insides. The other reason is you cannot get ALL of the air out of the fluid so it is partially compressible. That means you never get a firm pedal. Stick with DOT 4 and change it every 2 years.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've seen a couple cars with silicone brake fluid, not impressed. The rubber stuff fails at about the same rate, and parts can rust just as bad as moisture still gets in there. The ONLY advantage is that leaks won't mess up the epoxy. It's not good in clutch systems as it is slightly more compressible, as David mentioned harder to get the bubbles out, and this is more critical in a clutch than in the brake systems. Slightly squishy brakes are just squishy brakes, but a clutch that doesn't disengage all the way will damage the trans.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4941

I have used it in some of my other cars, and I swear by it. Yes....pedal is a bit squishier....but no degradation to metal. My calipers on my 74 corvette would constantly pit and leak. I honed them and switched to silicone...never another problem.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    I have used it in some of my other cars, and I swear by it. Yes....pedal is a bit squishier....but no degradation to metal. My calipers on my 74 corvette would constantly pit and leak. I honed them and switched to silicone...never another problem.
    On many other old cars there is not enough pedal travel for squishy brakes. Before you can lock up the brakes the pedal is to the floor. Not good by any measure. The main reason racers use DOT 5 is for the very high boiling point. If you want long-lasting brake parts just get the cylinders sleeved or change the fluid every 2 years.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast