FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Delorean Specific App that Unlocks Doors?

The idea I had in my head would basically show a front image of the Delorean on the app, and you would click the right or left door or both, and then it would animate the doors opening on the app, as well as your real doors would open at the same delorean.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Spencereng; 04-20-2016 at 06:00 AM.

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Having only a vague idea of how something like this would work I can see some of the challenges. First, and most important thing that'll affect work required to do this, is that smartphones don't emit in the bandwidth that remote keys do. So that means you'll need to have an app that, instead of directly communicating to your car due to incompatibilities, it'll have to talk to a server that redirects the signal to an always-on internet compatible module on the car. Best bet is something that uses AT&T, since it has the most coverage. Usually the drawback is slow download speed but it wouldn't matter here. A way may be to install WingsALoft and hide the remote in the car and Internet capable toy that you disassemble and arrange to push buttons on the Keyfob on demand. In this case you'll be taking an LTE signal, to be forwarded by a server, back to LTE, converted to wifi, converted to kinetic energy, and finally converted to whatever bandwidth keyfobs use to unlock and open the door.

Another method may be Bluetooth, but the time to reconnect would be more of an inconvenience than cool.

Last idea I have would be something based on RFID. The idea being that you'd walk up to your car and using a sensor it would know to unlock or open. This was something I wanted to do on my daily driver a couple of years ago and plum forgot about it until just now. Originally I was going to use Matt Smith's Sonic Screwdriver to broadcast the RFID code when activated.

Really, the more I think of it the less I think it's worth the effort.
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
    Originally I was going to use Matt Smith's Sonic Screwdriver to broadcast the signal
    Or you could figure out a way to have it unlock and open when you snap your fingers, ala the Tenth Doctor.

My VIN:    07000

But in seriousness, why not install something like a raspberryPi or arduino with an xbee or Bluetooth shield, or similar in the car? Then have the app talk to that? It's basically been done in the R2 builders group where we have an iPhone running a custom app -not jailbroken, that causes R2's different panels and sounds to activate when you touch different controls on any specific screen.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Voice print recognition: have your car doors open when you shout "OPEN SESAME!"

</joke>
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3