FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rocker tap

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Rocker tap

I had my engine idling while at the rear today and heard the distinctive sound of a rocker arm expressing unhappiness. It's faint at times, other times it gets a bit more pronounced for a second. Problem is I just did a valve adjustment about 3,000 miles ago. Can one get that out in that short of time or did the tech just not get enough umphhh on that one? If the latter I may get it fixed under warranty since I probably put a few of their kids through their freshman college year.

If I have to do it, at least it's on the right side.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I had my engine idling while at the rear today and heard the distinctive sound of a rocker arm expressing unhappiness. It's faint at times, other times it gets a bit more pronounced for a second. Problem is I just did a valve adjustment about 3,000 miles ago. Can one get that out in that short of time or did the tech just not get enough umphhh on that one? If the latter I may get it fixed under warranty since I probably put a few of their kids through their freshman college year.

If I have to do it, at least it's on the right side.
    Most likely the adjuster nut wasn't tightened enough and it loosened up. You will know as soon as you get the valve cover off. The adjuster nut will be loose or maybe fell off. I have seen where the whole adjuster with the nut unscrewed itself and was laying on the cylinder head waiting to be put back. The other possibility is one of the valves is not adjusted correctly and once the motor warms up it gets noisier.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1776

Does it change with engine temperature? Mine clatters like Granny's dentures when it's cold, but quiets right down when the engine warms up and clearances shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybarn View Post
    Does it change with engine temperature? Mine clatters like Granny's dentures when it's cold, but quiets right down when the engine warms up and clearances shrink.
    Sounds more like an exhaust leak in your case.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Sounds more like an exhaust leak in your case.
    It will be noisier when cold and should quiet down once it warms up. An exhaust leak will be loud hot and cold.
    David Teitelbaum

Well thanks for the advice just the same. As far as my issue, I just need to peel the VC off and take a look rather than have a shop (who will no doubt be trying to cover it's tail) look.