FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean spontaniously combusted.... I guess I'm lucky to be alive.

DeLorean spontaniously combusted.... I guess I'm lucky to be alive.

IMG_0596.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0598.jpgI was driving home one night and I smelled smoke and the next thing I knew, there was fire coming from the engine. I parked and got out, but it was too late, the car was on fire. I know I could have saved it, if I had a fire extinguisher, but the interior just spread like wildfire. I have no idea what caused this and I have never seen anything like it.
    I am Looking to buy a D.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Did you crash too because that's a lot of body damage just from the fire?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Did you crash too because that's a lot of body damage just from the fire?
    Pretty common to see the roof collapse as the fiberglass melts and the Spider Cage deforms. Also, it's common practice for fire fighters to rip open the hood during an engine fire. Yet they never bother with the trunks on front-engine cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Time Machine View Post
    IMG_0596.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0598.jpgI was driving home one night and I smelled smoke and the next thing I knew, there was fire coming from the engine. I parked and got out, but it was too late, the car was on fire. I know I could have saved it, if I had a fire extinguisher, but the interior just spread like wildfire. I have no idea what caused this and I have never seen anything like it.
    It sucks, man. Sorry to see this. Looks like the fire started on the passenger side of the car. What was the last work you performed in the engine compartment, and when was the last time you touched your fuel lines?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Glad you made it out alive, that looks awful. Hopefully your insurance company will pay up.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Awful. Just awful. Yes, glad to see that you're ok, physically at least. I'm glad I invested in a fire extinguisher.

My VIN:    3997

Holy shit.

Glad you're okay
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    6125

Jeez... lucky to be alive for sure. This is further reassurance that I'm doing the right thing by carrying a fire extinguisher behind the driver's seat. Sorry to see your car end up like it did but glad you were not hurt. I hope your insurance company makes things right.

I am interested to know what the cause of the fire might have been... Shortly after buying my car I noticed wetness on top of the fuel distributor from leaking fuel. Upon closer inspection found the plastic fuel line from the control pressure regulator was cracked beneath the outer rubber sheath.

Before you noticed the smoke was there any loss of power, or stuttering of the engine? Or did you notice an electrical burning smell? The damage looks pretty extensive so it's difficult to determine just from the pics where the fire may have actually started.

My VIN:    5625

Whoa! Man, that is a sad sad sight..... Im glad you're ok though!

This has me freaked out as I just completed a lot of fuel line work on my car. I have triple checked them for leaking and have none, but I'm still freaked out about it. I bought a fire extinguisher but am not really sure where to mount it in the car. For now its under the hood until a better place introduces itself.

I too, am interested in what the last major engine/electrical work was done.

Please let us know how the insurance company treats you.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

You're lucky to be alive!
    The car has a lot of damage, very impressive.
    I hope your insurance company will reimburse the value of your car.
    Any pic of your engine compartment before this happen?

My VIN:    3294

I parked and got out, but it was too late, the car was on fire. I know I could have saved it, if I had a fire extinguisher
    Today is the day I stop on the way home from the office and buy a fire extinguisher to live in my car. Not tomorrow... Today.
    Sorry for your loss.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast