FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions!

My VIN:    06960

Good to see another MN owner here! You should try to make it out to the Apple Orchard in Buffalo on Sept 25th....

Since this stickyed thread is different from the original new introductions thread created when dmctalk.org first came online, I will repost my original introduction here....

Eh, might as well give a briefer since I think there are a bunch of new people here...

Name is Jim Reeve. Live in Minnesota. Owned 06960 since 2000, had 27,000 miles. Car now has somewhere between 110,000 and 120,000 miles on it. I've driven it across country to 3 distant DCS's (Memphis '02, Pigeon Forge '04, Lexington '10), 1 close DCS (Chicago '06), and two other DeLorean events (DMCH Open House '01, DeLorean Mid-Atlantic Fall Foliage Tour '02). Car is typically a daily driver during the summertime.

Had an engine failure in '08 (which is why I missed DCS Gettysburg '08 ). Engine was dumping coolant into the oil pan through a cylinder liner base gasket. Rebuilt the engine in '09 (had a huge thread about this, hopefully it returns), while building it up as a home-built Stage II.5 at the same time. Engine has high compression pistons (DMCEu), milled heads (to further increase compression), ported heads, fast cams (DMCEu), fully balanced rotating assembly (safely get higher RPMs), lightened flywheel, DMC's Stage I all-stainless exhaust, and a "modified" bit of the exhaust. In '10 I went a step further, and removed the K-Jet system and installed a home-built Megasquirt EFI system using an intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, and TB from a Z7U PRV (from Europe). Also in '10 the stock suspension got a major overhaul with polyurethane bushing all around, Spax shocks, and DCUK front lowering springs.

I have done nearly all service on the car myself (or with assistance of others) in the time I've owned it. Only exception was a transmission inspection done by Dave Swingle while doing the clutch. I'm always willing to assist other owners on their cars, and have even been known from time to time to drive or fly across country to do so. I've seriously pondered opening up my own DeLorean service facility, but have never done so.

It seems I'm always working on or tweaking something on the car. In the past I've installed a temp/compass display into the headliner, added some switches and buttons, to make a fully integrated overhead console. Rebuilt the entire A/C system with 100% new components except evaporator. I'm also the only one who has managed to bend a Toby TAB. Topped off the car at 125mph back with the stock engine/suspension setup. Have yet to test it out after the rebuild. Two upcoming projects on my own car are making heated AND cooled seats using new custom-ordered all grey perforated seat covers from DMC. I'm also working to change the center console armrest to look more like the early Pilot cars, except in place of an ashtray will be cupholders.

A major project which I'm still just getting started on is a complete replacement of the instrument cluster with new digital stepper-motor driven gauges. It will be LED backlit in a fashion to match the appearance of the A/C panel yet retain an entirely stock appearance to the original cluster. Will have a 140mph speedometer, an electronic pickup for the speedometer to replace the angle drive, and all gauges will be digitally controlled with much more precision than the original analog gauges. Possible value-adds might be compatibility with a universal fuel level sender, and using the LAMBDA light as an additional overheat indicator. This is a project which I'm hoping to be able to produce in numbers and resell to the rest of the DeLorean community.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Name: Dermot
    Age; only a number
    Current Location: Outside Atlanta GA
    Wannadee since 1981
    Owner since 2008
    VIN: 2743, black, auto
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My name is EMDF. I used to be a member here before the new forums (registered in early '08 or late '07, I believe), but only posted a couple of times after registering and went dormant for years. As cliché as it may sound, it was Back to the Future that got me interested in DeLoreans. I remember either walking in a room with it on or turning it on myself (probably the former considering I'd never heard of the movie prior to that) early in my senior year of high school (2007-2008 ), and I first saw the scene where Doc Brown and Marty McFly were in the parking lot late at night, ready to test out the time machine for the first time. I made a comment to my dad, who was there at the time, about how it really was amazing that they could come up with such "custom" cars like that, with the doors opening up and everything. My dad then explained to me that it's not a custom car, but rather a production DeLorean modified into a time machine. Then I recalled, shortly before I said that, Marty McFly saying that famous line: Wait a minute, Doc. You're telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?! Suddenly I realized what it meant.

The more I researched DeLoreans, the more I became fond of them. I went from having zero knowledge of DeLoreans, or even BTTF, to a month or two later promising myself that I'd get a DeLorean as soon as I had the funds for it. My interest still hasn't faded, and although I don't have a DeLorean yet, I'm budgeting for it December or January of this coming Winter (2011-2012, for those that come across this years later). I was planing to post this introduction months earlier, but I've hit a rough patch in my life (I'll spare you the details, but it should suffice to say that it's starting to "buff out," following the metaphor).

As for more of who I am, my real identity was 100% unknown to Google, Bing, or any other search engine until earlier this year, about a month and a half before turning 21. Over two decades of being off every single public (or even slightly-public) database is pretty impressive if I do say so myself. The only reference you would be able to find of me at this point is my LinkedIn account, but when I file taxes for the first time, that will definitely change. I've been very careful to even keep the information about my online identity to a minimum, but I will say that my first name is Mike (my family calls me "Michael"), and I'm from Brecksville, Ohio, almost in the exact middle of Akron and Cleveland, one city south of Independence. I'm a programmer for a small vehicle insurance company, although we don't offer standalone auto insurance.

My first DeLorean I saw in person was one at the Cleveland AutoRama of 2008, which was also my first and only BTTF DeLorean I've ever seen. The guy there told me they made "kits" to convert a regular DeLorean into a BTTF DeLorean. I checked, and even now they don't have any "kits" for conversions. Later I saw the exact same DeLorean on eBay, advertised as being signed by George Baris (who was at that AutoRama, and I saw the signature there), which stated that it was made by the same guys that made the original BTTF DeLoreans 10 years after the fact. There were TV monitors everywhere, cutting into door panels, replacing the grille, and it had some other custom stuff done to it. Not sure what happened to it, to be honest. The other three DeLoreans I've seen were all stock, the first one I've seen twice, the second one I've seen once (at the Mentor Museum of Speed -- horrible condition yet hugely overpriced at $45,000), and the third one I see frequently in a guy's garage that I pass on the way to a weekly car show. I believe the street's called West Highland Road.

So that's my story! I hope to become an active and contributing member of the DeLorean community once I get my DeLorean (and, of course, in the interim while I'm still raising the funds for it), so you'll see me around here. I won't be the most active member due to lack of free time, but I'll make an effort to become a helpful, friendly member. Now all I have to do is convince the others in my household to give up half of the garage for my future DeLorean so I can obey a Hagerty contract

My VIN:    6351

My name is Jim and I'm the proud owner of 6351 as of a few months ago. I am thrilled beyond my wildest imagination to have this car and....well, need I explain the feeling of getting your dream ride after 30 years of thinking it may never happen?
    Last edited by Loach43; 10-23-2011 at 03:17 AM.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Hey Jim, Welcome to the forum!! Glad you are enjoying the car!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Welcome +2

Out of curiousity, your avatar pic looks like your car is blue. True?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    03527

I probably should (re)introduce myself, I registered on DMCTalk many years ago, but like many fell out of touch with the community, which I regret. The DeLorean has always been my dream car, ever since I saw one at some random car show when I was a child.

I bought 03527 over 6 years ago with the intent to restore it and only now am I beginning that task. The other "love" of my life is my '73 240z, which has eaten (literally) all my money and attention for the past few years.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Cool Z Car! I know someone who has restored 2 of those. Welcome back to the Stainless Community

My VIN:    6351

Beautiful Z there. Thanks for the warm welcome and @Dermont, my car isn't blue, just some photoshoppery to make my avatar look more interesting
    I just posted a few 'normal' pics of my car in the picture zone thread for anyone who wants a peek.
    Last edited by Loach43; 10-24-2011 at 08:34 PM.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Loach...?

Don't suppose your a pilot?

Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast