FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions!

My VIN:    6125

Welcome to DMCTalk! From the photos in your other thread it looks like you're making great progress removing all that purple paint. Keep us all posted with updates.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum Matt

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It always warms my heart to see a painted DeLorean return to its stainless roots. Well done, and welcome.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Greetings from Ontario, just bought 6272 out of Ohio. So far I've got the windows working again, bunch of lights and consmetic tinkering . Next week some ball joints and straighten out this front bumper. Found out after today's rain I have to clean out the drain in my heater box aswell

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Big welcome for all the new members

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Welcome to all the new members/owners!

Welcome to All the new guys!

If you're here for information about your new DeLorean, (or are still on the fence if a D is right for you), there is a Wealth of information here on the car we all love.
    Unfortunately there is a lot of crap also, (most of that is threads I started).
    Like any car specific forum we have a bit of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

Anyroad, Welcome aboard!

George

(This post is going to bite me in the a$$).
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ok, here it comes: My Introduction to you all.

I was born and grew up in Germany and like most of you I have watched BTTF when I was a little boy. I immediately fell in love with the shape of the car used as a time machine, but initially thought that this was not a car you could buy but was simply designed for this movie.

I learned a few years later that this was actually a real car modified to look like a time machine. The internet was not where it is now and information was hard to find. I grabbed over the years everything I could find. I recently discovered a German classic car magazine, which had the DeLorean on the front page and I just purchased because of that. The article was sadly quite short but I lived it anyway.
    DeLorean was one of the first search entries I ever put into my AOL provided Netscape browser. I even was really proud of having a copy of the original manufacturer’s technical shop manual (I found it again recently and saw that it was just a print out of a few service bulletins – sigh).

I discovered at one of my first work places in Hamburg Germany that I had a colleague sharing this passion for these cars. We were able to talk for hours about them and their design and that we would probably never, ever own one…or even see (they are hard to find in Germany…at least at the time (1999)). We made a pact that we would meet again in 10 years and the person that owns one gets a box of Champaign from the other person and we would celebrate together. Well, this never happened and I lost track of this guy (very sad).

I moved on, first to Ireland, where I visited with my girlfriend (at that time, now my wife) the Ulster Folk and Transport Mueum, seeing for the first time a DeLorean in front of me. Got a few shots with me in the picture.
    I then moved a few years ago to Canada. The wish to own a DeLorean never left my mind. My wife was shocked when she heard about my secret passion as she does not see in the DeLorean what I see. For her it was an ugly 80s car. But she understood that it meant a great deal to me.

I (and she) caught myself browsing Cragslist and eBay frequently for DeLoreans, as well as checking out the new resources for knowledge and documentation. I was like a sponge trying to upload every detail into my brain in case I will one day be on the hunt for one of these beautiful cars.

She then made me a perfect gift for my 40th birthday, not knowing what she would trigger with it.

She tried to find somebody renting a DeLorean out. She could not find any rental agency having this car but put a lot of work into it and finally dug up Dave (sdg3205), who told her that he would give me a 2 hour ride in his car for a defined rate.

She only told me that she had a great gift for me and that I just shall be ready at a certain time and a certain date. I had no idea what was coming down the pipe.
    I tried to find out what it was but she did not even slipped a hint.
    The day and time came and she guided me around the house. I saw a guy I had never seen before pointing his phone towards me shooting pictures. I must have looked a bit puzzled but then my eyes wandered down the line of parked cars and saw Dave’s #3205. I was done; a real DeLorean!

The ride was magnificent (thank you, Dave) and I had to explain to my wife what she had sparked. She thought that I am fine with just getting a ride, but now I was hooked. Told her: “The way how men work is not sitting in something and then being fine with it but: what you touch you want.”

I started to save money and look for DeLoreans in the Vancouver Lower Mainland area as I did not want to travel too far to find out that I do not want the car. I looked at #16877 with Dave and it was ok, but major repairs on my main car (VW Camper Van) drained my savings for the D. It was spring 2013.

Another D popped up in North Vancouver in December 2013. I met the seller (not the owner) and had a walk around. The car looked decent. The panels had maybe a scratch but no major dents. I shot a ton of pictures and Dave, who was not able to attend the viewing, told me what was wrong with the car according to the photos. I did some haggling with the seller and my wife as she did not see the point of buying another old car (and this time an ugly 80s car). Well, we all (wife and seller) came to an agreement and I purchased #3922 on 30th December.

Dave did a terrific job restoring the engine, replacing the original cooling hoses and water pump, fixing my headliners and detailing the engine compartment, while Toby Peterson (DMC NW) and John (DMC NW) provided me with a stream of parts and installed in my “Phase 1” a new digital automatic transmission governor and the Eibach performance suspension kit.

My first car show (All British Field Meet 2014) in the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens was a hit and people loved the car and how it looks. I am happy to be now a proud owner, able to make sure that one of these amazing automobiles is preserved from rotting away in a warehouse (like it did in the past years in North Vancouver).

And I follow the guidelines of this thread (it does not exist if there are no pictures)! Introducing #3922

IMG_2653.jpgIMG_2654.jpgIMG_2655.jpgIMG_2656.jpgIMG_2658.jpgIMG_2666.jpgIMG_2673.jpg
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Great story, thanks and belated welcome
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Welcome aboard - great looking D!

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Great story, thanks and belated welcome
    I was thinking the same thing...cool story!

Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast