FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 40 of 77 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_YT View Post
    Hello to the DMCTalk community! I'm Dan from the UK, and I have a DeLorean problem. I'm 16 years old, and I know that people my age have caused issues in the community (the kid who filmed some guy's D without permission and put it on YouTube being a classic example), but I like to think I'm not like that. I saw my first DMC when I was about 9, at a local air and motor show - it was a full BTTF conversion, but having not seen the movie, that wasn't what caught my eyes. Instead, the gullwing doors absolutely captivated me, and I still remember going home and telling my parents about "the cool car with the doors that go up".

That was to be the start of somewhat of an obsession. I discovered DMCTalk earlier this year and have been reading the boards avidly ever since, learning about the common problems and how to repair them, marvelling at the complete restoration threads and dreaming of seeing those sleek stainless lines grace my own driveway. My family have been somewhat surprised by my knowledge of the vehicle - when a programme about a D restoration came on television last night, my father was nonplussed at my references to "front-end recall kits", "Wooler Hodec", "fascia eyebrows" and "K-Jet".

Now I know a lot of you may be thinking "It's great that this guy likes DeLoreans, but he's got no idea of the actual amount of work one requires." Well, you're probably right. I am of course familiar with the rule of $25k and the many issues that can plague even a good D, but I have no intention of leaping straight in and trying to do something ridiculous like get a DeLorean as a first car. It'll probably be many years until I actually own one (if I ever manage to), but the way I see it, one cannot "live the dream" unless one has dreamed it first so in order to prepare me for the time many years down the line when I start scouring the internet and the dealers for my perfect DeLorean, I have decided to join this community and get a head start

TL;DR version: I hope to own a DeLorean one day and I thought joining the forums would be a great way to prepare myself.

Sorry for the wall of text,
    Dan
    Listen here young man, we have had quite enough of younger people coming on here with their well constructed posts, correctly spelled words and appropriate grammar. Never mind good use of paragraphs and demonstrable knowledge of the car.

Actually, we haven't. Well done, and welcome to the forum.

Heck, you even spelled DeLorean properly.

as Martin said, sign up at deloreaneurotec.co.uk and/or deloreans.co.uk, (or even deloreans.ie if yo are in that part of the UK). You will find some very friendly members there who will help you out with a touch&feel of the car or even a drive in one. As a bonus, you will find Martin and I there too

but don't forget to come back here too.

p.s. I think I may use this quote in future "the way I see it, one cannot "live the dream" unless one has dreamed it first". Very good.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Listen here young man, we have had quite enough of younger people coming on here with their well constructed posts, correctly spelled words and appropriate grammar. Never mind good use of paragraphs and demonstrable knowledge of the car.

Actually, we haven't. Well done, and welcome to the forum.

Heck, you even spelled DeLorean properly.

as Martin said, sign up at deloreaneurotec.co.uk and/or deloreans.co.uk, (or even deloreans.ie if yo are in that part of the UK). You will find some very friendly members there who will help you out with a touch&feel of the car or even a drive in one. As a bonus, you will find Martin and I there too

but don't forget to come back here too.

p.s. I think I may use this quote in future "the way I see it, one cannot "live the dream" unless one has dreamed it first". Very good.
    +1

Welcome to the forum!

You'll absolutely get whatever you strive for; DeLorean and whatever else.....

My VIN:    2483

Greetings,

My name is Jeremy. I am the proud owner of 2483. A 5-speed manual car with black interior now living in Chicago.

I have pretty much zero history on this car except what I could find online. Basically, it was found real close to where it was originally sold(Middle of nowhere Ohio).

I do know that it has been sitting for a long long time and I think it was outside for most of that.

To look at it from 50 feet away it looks great, as all DeLoreans do. Upon closer inspection it has all of the usual issues.

Interior, crack dash and binnacle along with the torn up seat cover. Carpets and center console are in quite decent shape.
    Body, Actually in decent condition, a small dent in the front left fender an smaller dent in rear left fender. Nothing serious. However it must have had a little kiss with something on the front left of the bumper. There is a bit of fascia issues and bent fender attachment part that is supposed to be inside the fascia. Seems that should not be a real big issue. Good news though, no rust on the body panels, HAHA.
    Frame, oh yea, good old mid west salty road rusty ass frame. It is NOT pretty. Wha wha whaaaaaaaaaa.
    Engine/trans/fuel, Honestly, I have no idea on it's condition. I am sure it's not good. I am not even close to there yet. Honestly that is far down on the list of to-dos. I know myself well enough to know that if I got the car running today I would get on the road today and that could be a disaster. The frame alone spooks me out as well as brakes and suspension.

All in all it seems to be a great car for me. All the parts are there and anything that is not good can be fixed. The PO seemed to love this car and was possibly a daily driver considering the millage of almost 84K. The car also came with a box of new DMC parts he was going to put on but did not get to it.

I know you are all thinking, "that sounds like a parts car to me". I do know that at least one or more of you out there looked at this very car and passed on it. The seller said a few different folks came to see it that know about DeLoreans and obviously did not buy it. I say thank you to those folks. Not every old car can be a parts car. Some dumb ass has to get these old junkers up again. I will be that dumb ass, at least once.

I bought this car as a project. I have been wanting one for about 30 years now and have also come to a point in my life where I really want a project car. So lets put those two interest together and have some knuckle busting fun. Sure I could have bought any other car and would have been cheaper and easier etc, but I do not like any other cars really. I surely would loose interest in some classic mustang or whatever else. In the end, I do not want a classic whatever, I want a DeLorean.

Now don't misunderstand me. I have been reading this forum, and all sorts of other info, for many months now. I have read all the $5K DeLorean articles and countless threads on the pitfalls of this "amazingly engineered" automobile. I am not walking into this totally blind, rose colored glasses maybe, but not blind.

Don't think I am so delusional that I will be like those TV shows and flip this in a week. Actually, I am giving myself a realistic over estimate of approximately a decade or less to do this. With a budget of approx 30K to do it with. Spread over 10 years that is a very manageable 3K a year. I hope it will be less time and money but either way I am mentally prepared. This is not about value or return on investment either. Nor do I expect anything like a concourse car when done. This will be a labor of love and learning and fun for the family.

I have also read the threads saying things like, spend the "extra" 20K and buy a better car to start with. Well, the reality of saving that is real slim. I am married, as most of you will know wives can make money disappear like magic. I had to sell everything I owned to buy a house and with what was left bought the best car that I could afford, and this is it Spending bits here and there will be easier for me than saving for a "better" car. Really though, this is all about the project, the journey of getting there. I want to learn every little bit I can about this thing starting from the frame on up.

I would like to take this moment and thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom on this great forum. In addition to that, the more than helpful vendors like Dave S. at DMCMW who talked with me for 4 hours an a Saturday at his shop, long before I was an owner, and recently another 2 hours there. What an amazing guy and an amazing group all of you are. Thank you all.

With all of your help and insight, successfully completing this project is a reality.

Who knows, maybe at he end of all of this I will write my own article "Beware of the $5K DeLorean"

So I finally have my car in my garage. It is so exciting for me. As of this moment I have not done anything but sit in the garage and stare at this beautiful machine. Sometimes I will just sit in the car to stare as well. Just taking my time and soaking it all in. I have a few more small projects in the new house to finish up before I get deep into this. For now it is just a wonderful treat to open that garage door and see this stainless steel beauty sitting there waiting for me. It is like falling in love all over again.

welcome to the club.

Naturally, we will all want to see pictures of your $5k DeLorean, both now and as it progresses. I feel a restoration thread coming on
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by delgato View Post
    Greetings,

My name is Jeremy. I am the proud owner of 2483. A 5-speed manual car with black interior now living in Chicago.
    Welcome Jeremy and congrats on getting your car.

To look at it from 50 feet away it looks great, as all DeLoreans do. Upon closer inspection it has all of the usual issues.
    I had heard this kind of expression about a few women over the years and you're right, it does apply to cars as well.

It used to go... "she's nice from a far, but far from nice."

Keep the expectations low and your outlook will stay high. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hi Jeremy,

welcome. I am also relatively new to ownership (purchased mine end of last year) and love and hate it (mostly love), but you will find out. I bet that you will have a lot of fun with the car.

I am married, as most of you will know wives can make money disappear like magic.
    By the way: car's can too! Especially the DeLorean! It loves getting new stuff and it will always make sure that something breaks so you have to replace it.

I am looking forward to your pictures of the car.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

I had heard this kind of expression about a few women over the years and you're right, it does apply to cars as well.

It used to go... "she's nice from a far, but far from nice."
    aka a Hollywood paint job
    Dermot

DeLorean.... What a fantastic car to grow up around...

Ahhhh the DeLorean, not my favorite car but definitely my second, and a car that will always have a special place in my heart. I grew up around these cars and my parents own 4 of them. I'm Jake, a 26 year old native to Columbus Ohio. I grew up working on the DeLorean with my father, one of the few mechanics originally certified to work on these cars back when they came out. Though not the fastest cars they were groundbreaking for their time. The car that would not rust. With a timeless body design that allows the car to fit in anywhere. My favorite DeLorean is probably the all original example my father purchased in 1984, still only has 4,280 miles on it, and the factory Goodyear NGK tires. As much as I know and have learned about the car over the years I figured this forum would be perfect for me.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum Dmctech14
    4 DeLorean in one home, must be a dream place

Page 40 of 77 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast