FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions!

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Don't forget to check out the SEDOC part of the forum. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    6120

Club(s):   (DMA)

Introductions - Long time dreamer, first time owner

Okay, new to the forum, or at least to posting so I hope this is right. I've read and learned quite a bit from dmctalk and have even gotten to know some posters. Still, mostly I'd consider myself new to the community at large.

My story as quick as I can tell it (which isn't quickly, but is considering it's decades in the making):

I know this will sound like a granddad thing to say (and I'm not anywhere near that) but when I was a child, in the absence of iPads, cell phones and x-boxes, boys talked about -- guess what -- cars! Now really dating myself, those were mainly Porches, Mustangs and dodge chargers, specifically the general lee.

I was never much into cars at all though, being more into Star Blazers, Star Trek and then Star Wars when it came out (anything that started with "star"). And yes, I recall Star Wars coming out and saw it in the theater, repeatedly, when I was very young.

So I had no favorite car, unless you count a land speeder. And I knew nothing about cars, nor did I care to. Then... There was the DeLorean! That wasn't a car, it was a symbol of uniqueness, a marriage of engineering and art. A tangible result of one persons inspiration supported by a team's vision and work!

So as the other boys talked about Porsches, Vetts, Chargers, etc., I finally had something I could say when asked "what's your favorite car?" I'd say "I don't have a 'favorite', I only have one... A DeLorean." To which the response was always without fail "what's a DeLorean?"

It was obscure and it was my passion, seemingly alone. A poor kids dream to someday, not win one, steal one, or be given one... But to EARN one! And so it was -- my secret. Until.... Doc built his time machine and the car went from obscure (at least in my neck of the woods... Which were literally woods) to iconic! Much to my lament at the time.

Fast forward, ooohhhh, about thirty five years, and I've just acquired the one I've been waiting for. The one I passed on others hoping to find. The one perfectly meant for me.

All these cars, in every configuration, are beautiful. Like Reese's cups, there is no wrong way to enjoy them. But, I had a very specific "hope" and not only did I find my dream configuration, I found it in exceptional shape and from the original owner. Who could ask for more? I'm not a big believer it fate, but this certainly seemed meant to be.

So, here I am, the proud owner of my dream car, which is so much more than a car to me. I'm looking forward to sharing this common passion in our unofficial fraternity of DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Thanks for reading and for your time.

Cheers,

Ron (aka Steel)

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Steel; 05-23-2015 at 01:13 AM.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Great story Ron, and welcome to the community
    Very nice Delorean

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Great story Ron, and welcome to the community
    Very nice Delorean
    Thanks, Domi. Believe it or not, that's just the abridged version, mere cliff notes even. lol The car really symbolizes so much more to me than just a machine... Though they are beautiful machines on their own.

I'm incredibly excited over this one in particular. It's in incredible shape,.I'm not a total layperson when it comes to these cars, did a ton of research literally over years and probably know more than the average shopper/buyer. Plus I had it checked out by someone I have a great deal of respect for (Marc from Tom's garage in NJ) who was just awesome and invaluable! And a hell of a good guy to boot. Hell, I even spoke with the guy who serviced it... The Rob Grady! Who was also helpful and a hell of a nice guy.

In my state, the car has to be inspected for safety, function and emissions if you want to drive it before waiting for some classic tags. It passed everything with flying colors, better than much newer cars. The one word description the tech gave was "immaculate". lol

All this and it happens to be my dream dream car. lol My dream configuration of my dream car... that is again, more than a car.

So yeah, it's kind if a big deal to me and I'm mildly excited.... can you tell?

Thanks again! Everyone at DMA and in the enthusiast/owner community in general have been fantastic! Its great to meet so many very decent people.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Stop Teasing, "the one you were waiting on" "Specific hope...dream configuration"

What is your dream configuration? You can also add the description to your signature line, mine is below.

Where in PA? I grew up about 30 miles SE of Pittsburgh, coal mining territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Fast forward, ooohhhh, about thirty five years, and I've just acquired the one I've been waiting for. The one I passed on others hoping to find. The one perfectly meant for me.

All these cars, in every configuration, are beautiful. Like Reese's cups, there is no wrong way to enjoy them. But, I had a very specific "hope" and not only did I find my dream configuration, I found it in exceptional shape and from the original owner. Who could ask for more? I'm not a big believer it fate, but this certainly seemed meant to be.

So, here I am, the proud owner of my dream car, which is so much more than a car to me. I'm looking forward to sharing this common passion in our unofficial fraternity of DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Cheers,

Ron (aka Steel)
    Last edited by Lenny; 05-23-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Stop Teasing, "the one you were waiting on" "Specific hope...dream configuration"

What is your dream configuration? You can also add the description to your signature line, mine is below.

Where in PA? I grew up about 30 miles SE of Pittsburgh, coal mining territory.

Haha. I didn't know I was teasing or that it mattered because it's just personal taste. Some people like exactly the opposite as me I'm sure, and they're not wrong at all. It's like art, you know? But since it seems you're curious. ....

81, grey int, 5 speed, grooved hood/no gas door, no ext. accents (no pinstripes or wide black stripe), silver wheels, grey bumpers, rear antennae, and built in door straps would be a nice plus as would an oct/nov build... which it has and is (nov). I'm also glad it has the original radio and the separate clock by the shifter. I just like the look of that little clock. lol

Of course what was most important was the overall mechanical condition, which every indication and inspection keeps supporting it being pretty incredible. I don't get to travel all over to see them, but I've seriously consider and passed on a half dozen or so over the years, and have seen probably around fifty total. It's far and away the nicest I've personally ever seen, again to me. It just seemed meant to be.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Very moving story. I am happy you found your dream (car) like many others on this forum.

And I wish all the others that have not found or aquired their perfect fit that it will happen one day.

It is a lot of fun (..and tears sometimes, especially when you find the next big project will just inspecting your car )!
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

My VIN:    2065

New Forum Member in Australia

I have just joined this site because I am looking to buy a Delorean. I live in Australia and have always admired these cars and now have the finances and time to buy and renovate one.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
    OZ DMC

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by vps3922 View Post
    Very moving story. I am happy you found your dream (car) like many others on this forum.

And I wish all the others that have not found or aquired their perfect fit that it will happen one day.

It is a lot of fun (..and tears sometimes, especially when you find the next big project will just inspecting your car )!

Thanks, man! Hey, I'd rather have a Delorean and a project than no Delorean.

Things will go wrong, it's a machine built by imperfect humans. But try to relax, enjoy the beautiful car and count your blessings. The glass is half full, my friend!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by OZ DMC View Post
    I have just joined this site because I am looking to buy a Delorean. I live in Australia and have always admired these cars and now have the finances and time to buy and renovate one.
    Any advice will be appreciated.
    Cheers
    OZ DMC
    Welcome to the forum

Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 ... LastLast