FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stuck caliper or low on brake fluid?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you find 1 stuck piston it will probably mean you need to rebuild the entire brake system.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2088

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Unfortunately, working on a stuck piston/caliper is above my ability level. I'll get a tow to a local shop and see if they can unstick my calipers/pistons. Thanks, everyone.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by RichG View Post
    Unfortunately, working on a stuck piston/caliper is above my ability level. I'll get a tow to a local shop and see if they can unstick my calipers/pistons. Thanks, everyone.
    A lot of shops want to replace the entire caliper as an assembly so be sure to let them know that exact fit replacements are not available. Parts you'd find at autozone, rock auto, etc. are incorrect. If I'm remembering the crossover PNs are for Jaguar calipers which have a smaller piston diameter. These calipers will physically bolt up but due to the piston sizes being smaller it will change the ratio of braking force front to rear.

Be overly specific that you're wanting the existing calipers inspected for sticking and rebuilt, not replaced. If they're going through the trouble of pulling calipers off and removing pistons it would be a good idea to replace the inner rubber seals. These should be available from Napa and a few other online sources, or you can have them order parts directly from DMC Houston.

As long as you find a good shop willing to do the work and not just throw parts at it you shouldn't have any major issues. Rebuilding brakes isn't as common anymore but there are still places out there that can do it.

I found one auto shop in my local area who has stellar reviews on both yelp and yellowpages.com for being honest. I gave the shop a call and spoke with the owner. He was concerned he wouldn't know where to get replacement parts and referred me to a foreign car shop nearby (who didn't get stellar reviews). So, my plan of action is:

Step 1: I'll jack up the car and figure out which brake is stuck.
    Step 2: order caliper rebuild kit(s) and piston(s) accordingly.
    Step 3: beg the local honest mechanic to rebuild my caliper(s) with parts provided.

I guess I should be glad I discovered this problem this past weekend instead of finding out 200 miles from home on my way to the spring social. Bummer that the car drove and stopped just fine last week. Weird timing for my brake(s) to stick.

This will probably make a few heads explode:

I've resurrected old calipers by filling them with PB, then bleeding the system where the flex line attaches rather than at the bleeder screw (leave the PB in the caliper). Put a new pair of pads in the caliper so the piston is pushed all the way back into the PB.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    This will probably make a few heads explode:

I've resurrected old calipers by filling them with PB, then bleeding the system where the flex line attaches rather than at the bleeder screw (leave the PB in the caliper). Put a new pair of pads in the caliper so the piston is pushed all the way back into the PB.

Bill Robertson
    If a piston is stuck it is because it has corroded from bad brake fluid. While this procedure may get things moving it cannot repair the damage from corrosion and the corrosion will not permit a good seal so the caliper will leak. There is no getting around the necessity of rebuilding the calipers. If one is leaking or stuck they must ALL be rebuilt including the master cylinder. Otherwise you will just be doing them all but 1 at a time as they fail.
    David Teitelbaum

I took the car out for a spin again today and could not reproduce the braking issue.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    this procedure
    Like I said: a few heads will probably explode.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by RichG View Post
    I took the car out for a spin again today and could not reproduce the braking issue.
    It could be part of a break-in thing. When I rebuilt my calipers, I recall them being a bit "sticky" the first few drives. This stiffness in the system probably relieved itself with a few good cycles of the brake system as the pistons slid through the main seals a number of times.

I'd say try a few more short drives & purposely exercise the brakes. Obviously you want to be careful with this to work up the confidence in the system, but giving the system some good exercise will be good since the problem is apparently not a constant issue.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    I'd say try a few more short drives & purposely exercise the brakes. Obviously you want to be careful with this to work up the confidence in the system, but giving the system some good exercise will be good since the problem is apparently not a constant issue.
    Exactly my thoughts as well. Fingers crossed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast