FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Oil filter change interval?

My VIN:    1561

Oil filter change interval?

I only drive my car about 1500 miles/year so I change the oil annually. Do you think it's necessary to change the filter each time too? Or can I get away with changing that say every other interval?

Thanks,
    Todd
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

There are a several reasons you should. The old filter has about a half-quart of old oil in it and will just pollute the new oil - the old filter has moisture and contamination in it - it is one year old and - $10 bucks or so is cheap insurance. At one year you should change both oil and filter.

My VIN:    2088

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Over the past 5 years, I've been at 500 miles or less per year. I'm going to bump that up to exercise the car (and enjoy it) more.

What oil do you gents recommend? Is it safe to use a local Jiffy Lube or similar establishment? I can't do it myself, but I have 4 or 5 unused oil filters in my trunk that I'd bring....

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by RichG View Post

What oil do you gents recommend?

NO!!! Please don't open that can of worms again. There was a HUGE discussion on this that covered every possible angle. Click here.

In the future, run a search and you'll probably find what you need
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1561

Thanks I'll just change it to be safe. I have a 6-pack of Bosch filters sitting here so you're right it's cheap insurance.

I'd add what I use for oil but I think Dave is right. I'll check that thread and see if what I use has already been recommended.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    Thanks I'll just change it to be safe. I have a 6-pack of Bosch filters sitting here so you're right it's cheap insurance.

I'd add what I use for oil but I think Dave is right. I'll check that thread and see if what I use has already been recommended.
    A big danger if you skip changing the filter is forgetting when it was last changed and not changing it when you should. Besides the old oil still in the filter is any contamination it contains. If you are going to go through the trouble and expense of changing the oil there is not enough savings in not replacing the filter.
    David Teitelbaum