FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Relay clicking every 3-4 seconds when AC is on

  1. #11
    Member smcguiga's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2015

    Location:  Northport, AL

    Posts:    78

    My VIN:    7122

    Yeah...has to be low on coolant, the faster I go the quicker everything is cycling...makes sense now that I've had some sleep and operating on with a fresh brain. At idle its acting normal, compressor isn't pumping as fast. As I accelerate the cycling becomes more frequent. It does seem to occur with the compressor now that I've done more testing.

    ON the same note, the voltage drops from 13 down to around 9 when the compressor and fans engage. As soon as I accelerate things go back up to 13+. While driving I can see the meter drop ever so slightly when the compressor and fans engage. Time to upgrade the alternator???

    Dave, After I charge the A/C, I think it might be time for your solid state fan relay. That'll cut down on the cycling and get rid of the annoying CLICK.

    --Steven

  2. #12
    Senior Member Bitsyncmaster's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Leonardtown, MD

    Posts:    7,492

    My VIN:    03572

    Quote Originally Posted by smcguiga View Post
    Dave, After I charge the A/C, I think it might be time for your solid state fan relay. That'll cut down on the cycling and get rid of the annoying CLICK.

    --Steven
    Yes my fan relay is silent and will keep the fans running as long as your cycle is less than 20 seconds.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

  3. #13
    EFI'd dn010's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Florida: Pinellas County

    Posts:    1,822

    My VIN:    5003

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by smcguiga View Post

    ON the same note, the voltage drops from 13 down to around 9 when the compressor and fans engage. As soon as I accelerate things go back up to 13+. While driving I can see the meter drop ever so slightly when the compressor and fans engage. Time to upgrade the alternator???
    I have an alleged 120 amp alternator, ground bus, high flow low amp fans and mine had a nasty voltage drop when the compressor kicked on as well.
    -----Dan B.

  4. #14
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    4,996

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Mod that keeps the cooling fans on when the AC is on

    "Mod that keeps the cooling fans on when the AC is on" discussion moved to HERE.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2018

    Location:  Virginia

    Posts:    374

    My VIN:    1623

    If you switch to a dual circuit breaker setup for the radiator fans, do you need to change the breaker amperage? Can I run two 40 amp breakers or since the system is now split in two is it a better idea to run two 20 amp breakers?
    DMCF rebuild 2008, Stage II, Eibach

  6. #16
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    4,996

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Two 20A.

    (FWIW- A popular mod to eliminate the fan fail relay uses two 25A fuses.)

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Aug 2018

    Location:  Virginia

    Posts:    374

    My VIN:    1623

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Two 20A.

    (FWIW- A popular mod to eliminate the fan fail relay uses two 25A fuses.)
    Thank you
    DMCF rebuild 2008, Stage II, Eibach

  8. #18
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    4,996

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •