FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - Front Spring Rubbing and squeeking

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Unhappy Help - Front Spring Rubbing and squeeking

After installing a new set of LCAs from DMCMW, I have noticed more than usual spring noises from front. Today, it was getting really worse. Squeezing and boing every bumps and sharp turns. So I looked under the car and found this. Left front spring was rubbing against frame. You can see wear out spots on the spring. I have been having some issues with this side of suspension. Several months ago, left wheel was rubbing against fender and I had to readjust height and rolled front fenders.
    I really don't see any obvious damages to frame and not sure what is going on. Do I have a bad spring or shock? PO added Eibach shocks and springs from DMC but not sure exactly when this was done but looks old and I think it's the first generation type.
    Appreciate any advices or recommendation. Thank you.

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

Does the shock absorber go down the middle of the spring? Looks like it is offset towards the wheel, but that could be an illusion. If it is in fact offset towards the wheel rather than down the middle of the spring, that might indicate the spring is sitting too close to the pivot bolt (as if the LCA spring perch was in the wrong place).

This is what mine looks like -- shock absorber very definitely goes down the middle of the spring:

FrontSuspension2.jpg

Bill Robertson

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Try compressing the spring and turning it about 90 degrees and see if that helps at all.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

spring

I think more like 180 degrees....?

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Here are some photos. Looks like they are centered. I will ask Clint if he can rotate spring tomorrow at our tech day. Thinking about bending the sheet metal so that it won't rub but I don't see much clearance between upper control arm. If I do that then I am afraid that the upper control arm will rub against frame.

IMG_1749 2.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg
    Attached Images

My VIN:    1589

I recently replaced my front springs and had a lot of the same type of spring twanging sounds coming front the front end after I put everything back together. Someone on the forum suggested greasing the upper rubber spring perches everywhere it contacted the frame and spring. I took the springs back out, coated all contact points with silicone grease, and reassembled. The noises went away almost immediately on the next test drive.

My VIN:    1589

I forgot to mention that I first tried rotating the springs as others have suggested, but that did not help in my case. I think you want to have the flat end part of the spring located over the outboard side of the LCA, so that it is pointing forward on one side and aft on the other side.

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

My car had rubber pieces on the front/rear of the spring to prevent rubbing with the frame. Basically rubber hose, split down the middle, & placed on the spring. These were on my stock springs & I transferred them to my Grady springs. Not sure if that's stock, but they work.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    10270

Spitballing here, but were the bolts fully torqued with the suspension under weight?

Wondering if the suspension has been preloaded towards the front due to bushing bind. Or maybe incorrect stack up of sway bar components?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

You can fuss with bending sheet metal, adding supplemental grease/rubber, rotating the spring, or you could install a pair of QA1 coilovers and forget about it. QA1 front spring diameter is over an inch less than what you have now; there's no chance of rubbing the frame. Naturally, it would also eliminate strange spring noises and the associated risks of using spring compressors.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast