FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - Front Spring Rubbing and squeeking

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

What does front QA1 front suspension kit includes?
    i'm interested. I have a feeling that it's my spring.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    What does front QA1 front suspension kit includes?
    i'm interested. I have a feeling that it's my spring.
    Thanks
    Shocks, springs, poly bushings, adjustment wrenches, and misc. hardware.

what kind of shock?
    I am actually not too familiar with QA1. Does QS1 spring lowers front end or at original height? How is it compare to Eibach, which I have one now.
    I don't know if I need to change my shocks or not. Do you have price for just springs? Would they work with Eibach shocks?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    what kind of shock?
    I am actually not too familiar with QA1. Does QS1 spring lowers front end or at original height? How is it compare to Eibach, which I have one now.
    I don't know if I need to change my shocks or not. Do you have price for just springs? Would they work with Eibach shocks?
    thanks
    It's a complete replacement.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-QA1-C...-/291553136404

Here is my update. I tried to bend sheet metal but couldn't get a good leverage to do so. Repositioning spring would require taking everything out so I opted not. Re did alignment and checked tire positions. All good. I sprayed lithium grease and it did the trick. No more noises. I am sure it is rubbing but I don't think it will cause any catastrophic failures. So I am just going to ignore it until I have to get new shocks or if it gets worse.

So thanks for all your recommendations and suggestions.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dblincoln3 View Post
    I forgot to mention that I first tried rotating the springs as others have suggested, but that did not help in my case. I think you want to have the flat end part of the spring located over the outboard side of the LCA, so that it is pointing forward on one side and aft on the other side.
    Yes that is the key that judging by one of the pics is being overlooked here. Ryan S. how about showing the end of each spring as they are sitting in the new LCA's and I can tell you if they are aligned correctly?
    Rob

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I forgot to mention that I first tried rotating the springs as others have suggested, but that did not help in my case. I think you want to have the flat end part of the spring located over the outboard side of the LCA, so that it is pointing forward on one side and aft on the other side.
    Now that we're tackling boating terms, I'm a bit confused. Have the bevel pointing aft towards the rear on one side, and fore towards the front on the other side? When I saw outboard side, that got me thinking the bevel of the spring should be pointed to the left on the driver's side and the right on the passenger's side.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    1589

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Now that we're tackling boating terms, I'm a bit confused. Have the bevel pointing aft towards the rear on one side, and fore towards the front on the other side? When I saw outboard side, that got me thinking the bevel of the spring should be pointed to the left on the driver's side and the right on the passenger's side.
    I believe that you want the end of the spring resting on top of the LCA on the side of the LCA between the shock absorber and the lower ball joint, not between the shock absorber and the pivot bolt. That was what I was trying to describe when I mentioned the outboard side. With that alignment the tip of the the spring end would be pointing towards the rear of the car on one side (I believe that is the passenger side, but not 100% sure) and towards the front of the car on the other side (driver side).

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I believe that you want the end of the spring resting on top of the LCA on the side of the LCA between the shock absorber and the lower ball joint, not between the shock absorber and the pivot bolt. That was what I was trying to describe when I mentioned the outboard side. With that alignment the tip of the the spring end would be pointing towards the rear of the car on one side (I believe that is the passenger side, but not 100% sure) and towards the front of the car on the other side (driver side).
    Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Yes that is the key that judging by one of the pics is being overlooked here. Ryan S. how about showing the end of each spring as they are sitting in the new LCA's and I can tell you if they are aligned correctly?
    Rob
    Rob
    Here are some photos of driver side. Since passenger side is not rubbing and not making noises, I didn't take any photos. If you think it's important then I can take some tomorrow.

Red line is where the end of spring is sitting. Blue line is to show the center or mid point of LCA. So the end of spring is sitting near the middle to rear and end is pointing toward front of the car. Thank you

IMG_1785.jpgIMG_1745.jpgIMG_1761.jpg
    Attached Images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast