FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Rebuild the original Torrix window switches

My VIN:    10270

How To: Rebuild the original Torrix window switches

I found the windows switches much easier to refurb than the defroster switch. I used a fiberglass scratch pen which allowed me to clean the contacts without much disassembly. I cleaned both switches and took pics in about 20 minutes.

These get funky because they lack real high current contacts and the brass center terminal becomes burned.

Tools used:
    -Xacto knife
    -Small flat blade screwdriver
    -Fiberglass scratch pen
    -Thick cardboard or a business card
    -Naptha, WD40, or contact cleaner

Step 1:
    Remove the switch cap
    Cut the plastic rivets that hold the switch body halves together.
    01.jpg

Step 2:
    Pry the case halves apart but be sure to keep the switch parts held into the larger switch half. I held my thumb over the terminals while slowly working the case apart.
    02.jpg

Step 3:
    Remove the middle terminal and burnish the contact area with the scratch pen.
    In this image you can see how discolored the contacts get.
    03.jpg
    04.jpg

Step 4:
    Burnish the moving contacts with the scratch pen
    05.jpg

Step 5:
    Clean the lower and upper contacts with naptha and cardboard until black marks on the cardboard are no longer created. The uppers will probably not show much wear but will still probably be dirty.
    06.jpg
    07.jpg

Step 6:
    Replace the middle terminal.
    08.jpg

Step 7:
    Reassemble the case and make sure the upper contact bar is captured by the case correctly. I used a spot of super glue where the rivet heads were cut off to keep the case locked together.
    09.jpg
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 05-02-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    16306

Thank you very much for posting this. I just fixed my passenger side switch by following this step-by-step.

Fixed

Great post. I just rebuilt mine. They went from barely working to working 100%. Where did u find a replacement middle terminal. I was able to just clean mine. Thanks.

My VIN:    10270

Oh, that's "replace" as in "put back"

Further thoughts:
    All of the damage is from arcing. I wonder if a few high volt caps across the terminals wouldn't help. Either that or some tungsten contact points.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection