FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Transmission jerking when aggressive acceleration

Transmission jerking when aggressive acceleration

As many of you guys know – I'm working on tuning the car. Today I got it to I don't very well and ran good. I'm going to try another test run tomorrow when it is completely cold. When I was driving today trying to accelerate quickly – when I got up to about 2500 rpm's, It would sometimes then want to jump into the next gear almost like it jumped up, down and then back up again. When I accelerate slowly and more normally, it seems to work fine. I have not had an automatic before so I do not know what to expect with how smooth it should be but this seems out of the ordinary. Also, when shifting down when I am rolling up to the stopping point still going between 35 and 45 mph – he seems to jerk down into the next year almost too high in RPMs- is it likely that there is still some issue related to tuning that's causing this,?

I did spray around starting fluid and did the cigar smoke test to try to find vacuum leaks in either revealed anything although I know those are rough methods. The car only has 15,000 miles on it. I check the transmission fluid when it was hot and it seem to be going onto the well the point where the stick connects to the flat measuring portion at the bottom – like it was too high.

Also, when shifting is normal – how much should one feel like?

Thanks guys
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    3937

You can add shift computer governor to the list of things you need to sort out.

Inspect the wiring harness portions of it for visible damage (melting), but you'll likely need to pull it out of the car and have it rebuilt.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Since you said you were doing "aggressive" driving I assume that means pushing the throttle all the way down, etc. Your brief description sounds like the "kick-down" switch is activating when you go to full-throttle. Personally, I believe that switch should be permanently disconnected. However, I would recommend you disconnect it during your testing so you can determine if the shift computer may be acting up and/or failing. BTW, all shift computers seem to fail sooner rather than later. The kick-down switch is mounted on top of the lambda enrichment switch mounted on the throttle spool. You can see it from above. If you have the water shield installed you will have to remove that to see and get to it. The connection is located in the plug-in near-by on top of the intake manifold.
    Last edited by hmcelraft; 05-04-2016 at 09:29 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you suspect any problems with the automatic transmission you should start with all of the external "On Car" checks including fluid levels (there are 2!). If the fluid smells burnt and/or is not a nice red color, the transmission should be flushed and the filter cleaned or replaced. If, after going over all of the adjustments and checks, the transmission still has shifting problems, the shift computer probably needs to be repaired or replaced.
    David Teitelbaum