FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CA vehicle registration on a Delorean

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    So my big question is the smog test with historic plates. Do you still need to smog the car when you have historic plates?

Right now i still have to smog my car. i pay just under $100 a year for registration.
    Yes, but I'm not sure how often. I only smogged once in the 4 years I was in CA, but my other cars I had to do every year.

You should also consider driving restrictions with historical plates. You can only legally drive for club events and car shows.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6472

My renewal was $112 but I've added vanity plates since then. My other daily driver was $87.

My VIN:    3757

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Yes, but I'm not sure how often. I only smogged once in the 4 years I was in CA, but my other cars I had to do every year.

You should also consider driving restrictions with historical plates. You can only legally drive for club events and car shows.
    Need to Smog every 2 years.... Cars up through 1975 are exempt. Wish they would make it 1985.....

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Historic vehicle class is pretty sweet in Maryland. Any passenger vehicle, motorcycle, or light truck at least 20 years old can be registered as "historic". They do state that you cannot use the vehicle for general daily transportation and can only be used for exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and "occasional transportation". But it's so loosely defined and the restrictions are never enforced. I know people that drive their "historic" vehicle as their daily driver. It's not uncommon to see an early 90's vehicle driving around with historic plates. The benefits are a reduced registration fee, no emissions testing, and not requiring a safety inspection. Maryland only requires a safety inspection when the vehicle is purchased. I actually had plates and registration stickers in hand before I even physically had my DeLorean here when I bought it four years ago. All I had to do when it was off loaded from the trailer was slap the plates on and enjoy!

My VIN:    10309

You guys are sooo lucky. In Hawaii we pay registration based on weight. Over the years the always money hungry politicians figured out they can also attach additional fees for just about anything they want. This year they wanted to raise fees an average of $85 per vehicle to pay for air conditioning schools. Next year it will be something else until they get it. I pay about $325 per vehicle per year plus $25 annual safety check and $2.45 per gallon gas. Lucky to live Hawaii!

My VIN:    3997

Just got my CA Renewal in the mail, $111. AND I have to smog this year....ughhh...here we go again.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    6235

Smog on newer cars will depend on the part of the state you live in as well, in California. Those counties that are more smog prone cars get tested every 2 years. Others less smog prone get tested beyond that. I don't know the formula but I know it exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    6235

Smog on newer cars will depend on the part of the state you live in as well, in California. Those counties that are more smog prone cars get tested every 2 years. Others less smog prone get tested beyond that. I don't know the formula but I know it exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Here in Ontario we are about 120$ a year to renew the sticker on a passenger car, historic stickers are just short of $30

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    Here in Ontario we are about 120$ a year to renew the sticker on a passenger car, historic stickers are just short of $30
    Every State is different with it's own rules, regulations and fees. You have to understand them for the State you live in. California has some of the most restrictive rules of all of the States. In New Jersey Historic plates (if you are eligible) must be renewed but after you pay for the 1st time it is free to renew. If you need help in your State a good place to start is a local car club. They can help you understand the rules and guide you in the best way to register your car. If you decide to register it as a "normal" car you may not be able to get collector insurance. That is not good. You MUST get insurance where you get an "Agreed Value" if the car is lost or stolen. Any other way and they will "Blue Book" it and subtract the deductible. In such a case they may be able to give you less than $10,000 and take what is left of the car (if anything).
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast