FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: [DeLorean Digital Cluster] Prototype.Final_Version.V2._FINAL_.customer_update 5

Lightbulb [DeLorean Digital Cluster] Prototype.Final_Version.V2._FINAL_.customer_update 5

Hey all.

This is a project to replace the instrument cluster component of the binnacle with a mounting that can hold in place a 4k LCD strip, the inverter, driver, and backlight components, power isolation module, and a Pico-ITX format SoC. I don't like compromising on my designs, so I'm doing this from scratch.

I'm releasing for free all the models and scans of my DeLorean digital cluster, as well as all parts used. I have no interest in making money off of this. The source-code will be released under an MIT license, which is provided liability-free, and without guaranteed support.

At the moment, I have a professional 3D scan shop rescanning the instrument cluster as my scans were sloppy and jittery, and I will restart on the reverse-engineering once that's complete.

The parts will be 3D printable. I recommend using bridge nylon thanks to the excellent UV resistance and temperature resistance. But you're free to use anything you like.

The screen I'm using is listed here: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802124008354.html

In case that link one day goes down, here are the specs your screen will require:
    350.52mm x 118.65mm x 2.5mm
    3840 x1100 283PPI
    Active area of: 344.218mm x 98.604mm

The computer I'm using to drive this is rated INDUSTRIAL. This is SUPER IMPORTANT. Consumer electronics will not last long in all the environments a car can be in. This means it has a storage temperature of -20 ~ 70?C.
    In this case a https://www.mitacmct.com/IndustrialM..._ND108T_ND108T which is of the Pico-ITX size format.
    I'm also using an industrial rated half-size PCI-E m.2 canbus interface, with two transceivers and two receivers.

All of this will fit together in one 3D printed enclosure that should be a drop-in, bolt in experience in the DeLorean binnacle.

What I won't be designing:
    • Hookups to the Lambda sensor
    • Hookups to the speedo drive
    • Adapters to the DeLorean wiring harness

Which I welcome others to do. In my conversion I only need the canbus interface. Alternatively, it may be useful to others if you wish to use a different aftermarket solution and only want the HDMI inputs on the screen to display.

I'll also be uploading all the raw scans for others to use.

Look forward to updating you all on progress.

This is awesome! Look forward to your updates!

My VIN:    Early

Interesting

Subscribed.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3