FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door open light staying on and new dome light issue

My VIN:    7122

Door open light staying on and new dome light issue

Ok, so I recently replaced my door lights with the LED kit from DMC. I also replaced my dome lights with LEDs and in the process the front dome light broke so I ordered one from ebay and it fits great but has slightly different wiring. I can't seem to figure out why the light will only come on when switched or else it seems to stay on all the time. Any ideas which wires go where? How I have it now (with the purple/white disconnected) has it working only when I rock it back and forth to switch it on.
    IMG_1454.JPG

After doing all this I plugged in my buzzer and door lights just to make sure all was working after installing the LEDs and then immediately unplugged all wires from all three door switches and unplugged the buzzer. Now my "door open dash light" comes on and stays on while driving down the road. Once, it turned off after about 5 minutes and then turned back on again a few minutes later. What in the world happened here? I normally leave my doors open in the garage so the door lights will most likely stay unplugged unless I go with Dave's new relay (likely will soon) but I can't figure out what I did to make that door open light come on and stay on!?

--Steven

My VIN:    03572

The purple wire goes to the common (always connected to the light) pin. The black and purple/white go to the switch pins.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

Here's a picture of the ebay light unit wired up:

image.jpg

Since you have LED lights now, the light diming relay will no long function correctly. You can remove it, or buy one of Dave M's LED dimming relays for the courtesy lights.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Here's a picture of the ebay light unit wired up:

image.jpg

Since you have LED lights now, the light diming relay will no long function correctly. You can remove it, or buy one of Dave M's LED dimming relays for the courtesy lights.
    Or you can leave one normal bulb in the rear light and the led in the front lamp. That will be enough draw to activate the relay....
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    7122

Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    Or you can leave one normal bulb in the rear light and the led in the front lamp. That will be enough draw to activate the relay....
    Ok thanks! So this explains why when I connect all three wires, the light just stays on. Would this be the reason the "door open/ajar" light is staying on as well?

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Make sure you have the rubber tip on the end of the pin switch or it wont make contact far enough down when the door is closed. If that has never been an issue before, then I would guess the two are related....
    Soundkillr was here.