FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cooler than stainless???

Cooler than stainless???

A local shop (my favorite shop, actually) just wrapped a car with this stuff. It looks AMAZING!

My VIN:    6125

Pretty cool technology but stuff this reminds me of that chromalusion paint that color shifts from purple to blue to green.

My guess is that (like chromalusion) while intended to go on high end cars, idiots will spend $4,000 to paint/wrap their $1,000 vehicle and it will end up on the very long list of tacky car mods.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Pretty cool technology but stuff this reminds me of that chromalusion paint that color shifts from purple to blue to green.

My guess is that (like chromalusion) while intended to go on high end cars, idiots will spend $4,000 to paint/wrap their $1,000 vehicle and it will end up on the very long list of tacky car mods.
    Agreed. If I were to wrap a DeLorean, I'd do a chrome wrap. I love the look of the polished stainless, but would never feel safe polishing it myself, nor would I be certain that I would want to keep it that way forever.
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Agreed. If I were to wrap a DeLorean, I'd do a chrome wrap. I love the look of the polished stainless, but would never feel safe polishing it myself, nor would I be certain that I would want to keep it that way forever.
    I thought I recently saw someone do a black chrome wrapped DeLorean the other day but can't seem to find it here. Or maybe it was black brushed finish. It was similar looking to this photoshop job:

Maybe it was on Facebook?

Chrome looks good too but I'm not sure how well chrome vinyl wrap holds up to scratches and every day dirt and wear. I was looking at some black chrome vinyl for wrapping some trim pieces on my wife's Explorer but hear it's not very durable. I like the idea of it being temporary though and being able to easily go back to stock.

Here's a random photo I saved of a guy who actually polished his entire car to a mirror finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Yeah that was the one!

Funny, I just noticed now that the guy was using a propane blow torch to heat shrink instead of a heat gun

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I got a chrome wrap quoted at $4k a few months back. I really love the look of the polished stainless as well but I also like my car black.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Here's a random photo I saved of a guy who actually polished his entire car to a mirror finish.
    I saw this car in person at DCS 2010. This is what got me thinking about a chrome wrap. Here is a photo I took of it back then:

The owner told me he spent something like 4 hours per square inch polishing by hand to do this. I think other threads discuss quicker ways to do it using rotatory tools and flapper wheels. The only thing he didn't polish was the hood.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10201

Id do the hood too then chrome wrap the fascias to try to match the mirror finish

Any know the VINs of these DeLoreans? It'd be nice to record these modifications.

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast