FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing Rear Power Antenna

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Replacing Rear Power Antenna

Is there a how to on removing and replacing a rear power antenna? I want to leave the existing bracket if possible and just install a new motor and mast.

Steve

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

DMCH sells a direct replacement antenna with a black mast. Install is kind of easy...

In the engine compartment, remove the 4 bolts for the carbon canister cover.

Rotate the cover 90 degrees and then pull away with the carbon canister attached.

There are likely 2 nuts holding the bracket to the rear fiberglass bulkhead - remove them and disconnect the wires for power, ground, and extend.

In the passenger compartment remove the parcel carpet and the triangular plywood cover to expose the relay for the antenna. Unplug the antenna wire from the extension wire in this area.

Its probably easier to remove the black metal clips for the cargo net and then remove the vertical board at the rear of the cargo are - I didn't and it can be done, but it would probably be easier and I will next time.

Tie a pull string to the antenna wire, then from the engine compartment pull the antenna wire back through the rear pontoon.

Remove the screw at the base of the bracket and the locking ring for the antenna at the top. Install the new antenna into the bracket.

Use the pull string to pull the new antenna wire through and hook it up. Hook up the remaining 3 wires.

Put the bracket in place and tighten the nuts.

From outside the car make sure your positioning is ok and the antenna will come up thru the opening properly,

Test for proper operation.

Replace the carbon canister and bolt up the cover.

Put the panels and carpeting back in the interior.

Easy overall with moments of frustration possible.

Thanks.

I was hoping to get an antenna locally.. they are about half the cost of DMCH but I would need to use the existing bracket and wanted to leave it in place. I think removing the exisitng bracket requires removing the tail light, correct? I'd like to avoid that if possible. I alwasy end up breaking parts that half to come out in order to get to the ones I intend to work on. Makes the job twice as hard.

So do you know how the old antenna attaches to the bracket? I could not figure out what is holding it in place.

Steve

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I am using a Legacy LN46. I believe I bought it on Amazon.com for about $35. If you go the legacy route it is super easy to install. I used the old mount and had no problems at all. You will probably have to remove the rear tail light no matter what antenna you get but don't worry, it is super easy.

Banned

$30 with free shipping. I know nothing about the company but this is a good price.

http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store...m.asp?sku=LN46

Edit: I just noticed they are out of stock and I dont see this item on ebay or amazon. Sorry man.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

LN46 seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth a few years back - I had one on backorder for about a year before the sale just cancelled.

No, you don't have to remove the tail light, see above...

You remove the mounting bracket along with the antenna. Once you open the access door you will find its just held in place with 2 nuts. You cannot take the old antenna off the bracket until its out of the car.

Remove bracket and antenna together, then use a screwdriver to remove the screw from the bottom and the locking nut at the top - reinstall in reverse order.
    Last edited by TTait; 06-18-2011 at 12:51 AM.

My VIN:    1420

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I put one of these in 5381 back in '07. Still working fine

http://www.mtgparts.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=ANT

Bruce-1420

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    $30 with free shipping. I know nothing about the company but this is a good price.

http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store...m.asp?sku=LN46

Edit: I just noticed they are out of stock and I dont see this item on ebay or amazon. Sorry man.
    No worries... I've noticed the Legacy are hard to come by these days. Thanks though.

One of the local auto parts store stocks a couple of power antennas. I'm going to get the old one out and take it with me to match best as possible.

I'll let everyone no what brand and model I go with for future refference. We should probably update the corssover list as none of the ones listed are available anymore.

Steve

Banned

I believe this is what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...Q5fAccessories

It looks identical to the LN46 and is $32 shipped.

See notes in BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    DMCH sells a direct replacement antenna with a black mast. Install is kind of easy...

In the engine compartment, remove the 4 bolts for the carbon canister cover.

Rotate the cover 90 degrees and then pull away with the carbon canister attached.

There are likely 2 nuts holding the bracket to the rear fiberglass bulkhead - remove them and disconnect the wires for power, ground, and extend.
    Mine had one nut on a bolt at the back (tailight area) and one at the bottom of the pontoon utilizing one of the panel bolts.

In the passenger compartment remove the parcel carpet and the triangular plywood cover to expose the relay for the antenna. Unplug the antenna wire from the extension wire in this area.

Its probably easier to remove the black metal clips for the cargo net and then remove the vertical board at the rear of the cargo are - I didn't and it can be done, but it would probably be easier and I will next time.

Tie a pull string to the antenna wire, then from the engine compartment pull the antenna wire back through the rear pontoon.
    Very good idea... would not have thought of that.

Remove the screw at the base of the bracket and the locking ring for the antenna at the top. Install the new antenna into the bracket.

Use the pull string to pull the new antenna wire through and hook it up. Hook up the remaining 3 wires.
    3 wires; brown, yellow, and white... Which is power, ground, extend? I assume white is ground?

Put the bracket in place and tighten the nuts.

From outside the car make sure your positioning is ok and the antenna will come up thru the opening properly,

Test for proper operation.

Replace the carbon canister and bolt up the cover.

Put the panels and carpeting back in the interior.

Easy overall with moments of frustration possible.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast