FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brake Ticking

My VIN:    3937

Does anyone have a picture of these springs you've mentioned on the rears?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Brake Pin Springs

We've been installing these for over 30 years as almost every car makes clicking noises without them. If that doesn't cure the problem and the noise is from the back the parking brake adjustment could be the cause. If it's a little too tight (common problem) the pads will click when the car is turning due to slight rotor deflection combined with runout under load. The fix is to back off the adjustment slightly.
    Rob

Is there a link to the springs somewhere so I can see them and understand what they are doing and how they are installed? Where are they found for sale?

Brake Pin Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Is there a link to the springs somewhere so I can see them and understand what they are doing and how they are installed? Where are they found for sale?
    We sell them as hardware kits for $19.50 each front and rear. It includes pins, clevis clips, and anti-rattle springs. My phone is not talking to my computer anymore so no pics till I resolve it.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We sell them as hardware kits for $19.50 each front and rear. It includes pins, clevis clips, and anti-rattle springs. My phone is not talking to my computer anymore so no pics till I resolve it.
    Rob
    Are the anti-rattle springs for the rears the same as the ones available for the fronts? I hadn't thought there were clips/springs available for the rears, which is why it wasn't clear to me what was meant.

Front brakes anti-rattle clip install.pdf

My VIN:    6125

The way I'm reading this, the springs in question are installed in the photo on the right (red arrows). You should also have metal retainers installed to hold the thin anti-squeal shims in place, shown in the photo on the left (blue arrows)

Last edited by Mark D; 05-20-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Good visual Mark, thanks.

So "springs" meant springs. Got it. Makes sense. Those anti-rattle "clips" were what I must have been thinking only came on the fronts? Same too for the anti-squeal "shims." Maybe we need a few more names for things that are similar or the same to add to the confusion, lol.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The clips actually work better and for some reason are not generally used on the rears.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The clips actually work better and for some reason are not generally used on the rears.
    Would they work on the rears though? I mean, would they fit? I have my originals from when I did my front brakes a couple seasons ago and could clean them up and put them on the rears conceivably...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Would they work on the rears though? I mean, would they fit? I have my originals from when I did my front brakes a couple seasons ago and could clean them up and put them on the rears conceivably...
    They aren't usually interchangeable. We carry front and rear pad pin kits that include the clevis pins and anti-rattle springs or clips for $19.50 per set. My camera isn't talking to my computer today or I'd have pics.
    Rob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast