FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Safety question engine fires and being locked in car

Safety question engine fires and being locked in car

Hi I was thinking about the best was to get out my car if (worst case or course)

1. a engine fire happens and u need to get out quick but all windows are up and the doors are jammed locked. (battery power cut)

whats the best way..... smash front window with a small fire extinguisher and exit?

2. car is upside down, how do u get out gull wings prob wont open as the ground will stop them moving. break front window?

this is worst case i know!!

Kick the front windshield out in both scenarios. I'd be shocked if you manage to flip the car. That being said If you're upside down its going to be tough to maneuver yourself to kick the windshield.

Really unlikely you'd lock yourself in the car too.

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by jamesvnz View Post
    1. a engine fire happens and u need to get out quick but all windows are up and the doors are jammed locked. (battery power cut)
    Since you mentioned battery power, I thought I should mention that even without the electrical, you can still manually open/close the door lock switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Since you mentioned battery power, I thought I should mention that even without the electrical, you can still manually open/close the door lock switch.
    thanks just curious! i wounder if anyone has had to take out their D front window by smashing it from the inside

My VIN:    03572

The impact sensor also unlocks the doors if it gets set. But as said, you can unlock the doors without power.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    Kick the front windshield out in both scenarios.
    Think again. A few years ago, I helped a few friends part out a DMC. The windshield was cracked, so we all took turns trying to kick it out. None of us could do it. We could flex it some & 'splinter' some shards of glass off, but there was no kicking it out. We were kicking at the top right corner & it would not start to peel or separate from where it's glued to the surrounding structure.

Best bet....smash a SIDE window & crawl out (if you can't get either door to open).

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    Between VINs

Interesting. My understanding was, as part of the 'safety car' design, the front windscreen was purposely designed to be easily kicked out from the inside. I wonder if that is misinformation or if 30+ years has caused the adhesive to set much more stronger than they initially thought.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Interesting. My understanding was, as part of the 'safety car' design, the front windscreen was purposely designed to be easily kicked out from the inside. I wonder if that is misinformation or if 30+ years has caused the adhesive to set much more stronger than they initially thought.
    Urethane is urethane and it is a strong bond. If you were able to easily kick out the windshield, your roof structure would separate and start sagging easily too.
    -----Dan B.

Only in the movies can you kick out a windshield, or shatter it. In real life neither works.

Windshield is an integral body support component -- it is designed to to stay attached to the car, especially in the event of an accident. That's why it is held in with urethane adhesive (not just DeLorean -- all modern cars are made this way).

Windshield is designed not to shatter. It has a layer of film laminated into it. That keeps an unbelted driver from crashing through the windshield in the event of an accident. It also prevents most objects that impact the windshield from coming into the passenger compartment (rocks, deer, etc).

Side and rear windows by contrast are tempered safety glass. They are designed to shatter into a bazillion little pieces if impacted hard enough (a bazillion sharp little pieces -- "safety" glass will cut you).

Break the side window, if it isn't broken already.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    03572

If you flip your car, most likely all the glass has already shattered for you.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast