FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delorean with a Porsche 993 eng. and 5 speed

Delorean with a Porsche 993 eng. and 5 speed

I was down the shore over my weekend in Beach haven, NJ on LBI and a guy had his Delorean out drawing all kinds of looks. I went uo to him and asked a few questions, then asked if I could look inside. He was happy that I took a real liking to the the car then I was shocked when he opened the eng. bay and he had what he said was a Porsche 993 flat 6 eng and Porsche 993 tranny fitted in. The eng. looked right to me flat 6 for sure, water cooled though and I have no reason to doubt the tranny being what he claimed. I couldn't get any numbers out of him cost wise cause he said he had a bunch of other work done at the same time. He did say it came out of a wrecked 993 and that total cost of the work was in the 45K market. Other then the eng. bay the car looke dlike any other well lept Delorean. I should have asked him where he got the work done, but forgot under the circumstances, forgot to ask a few things. Oh well, any comments, questions. He said it gets to 60 in under 5 seconds without pushing it. Not sure I'd want/need all that power.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

60 in >5? I could deal with that kind of giddy-up...

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

That's like strapping a rocket to a Mini Cooper.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The 993 model was air-cooled...last of the mass produced air cooled Porsches.

The 993 model only ran from 1995 to 1997 here in the states, but I think you
    could special order it in the Carrera 4S trim through the 1998 model year.

If it was water cooled, it was more likely a 996 model, although most 996
    models came with the Tiptronic Auto 5-spd or the Manual 6-spd.

Later,
    Rich

Added Note: Some MAJOR mods would be needed to the rear frame area to
    fit a flat six engine. No Way that setup would fit in the stock DeLorean frame.
    This is something I have looked into, with me using a full custom race frame.
    Major changes to suspension and brakes needed, to go fast and stop safely.
    Last edited by Rich W; 08-24-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added Frame, Suspension and Brake mods note

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

No Pics? Not even crappy cell phone pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    I guess you don't know Beach haven on LBI (Long beach island). I was at the beach 3 blocks from my car where my cell phone was tucked under my front seat. I had $20 on me for ice cream and a cold one if conditions called for it.

As for the 993/996? I may have the numbers mixed up but if was def. water cooled and a 5 speed stick.

My VIN:    03360

Club(s):   (DMA)

I am surprised I didn't hear about this car. I work on LBI and have lived there all my life. Usually it's my car when someone says they see a Delorean on LBI (except for the annual Christmas Parade when have over a dozen Deloreans on LBI. Exactly where was it in Beach Haven?
    Gary G
    Vin 3360
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by DmcGman View Post
    I am surprised I didn't hear about this car. I work on LBI and have lived there all my life. Usually it's my car when someone says they see a Delorean on LBI (except for the annual Christmas Parade when have over a dozen Deloreans on LBI. Exactly where was it in Beach Haven?
    Normally I "beach" in Ship bottom by "Joe Pops", but I was checking on tickets at the surf light for the "Jackie the joke man Martling show" when I spotted the car on Bay ave. between the cross street of the Surf light and fantasy island.

Let me ask you, being your at the Shore where to you get your work done. I'm still looking for a place either up north or at the shore for when I get mine.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    crime scene artists sketch ?

or a vin per-chance?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    crime scene artists sketch ?

or a vin per-chance?
    Sorry didn't think of getting the VIN#. I've got to ask why such an importance on a VIN # anyway??? Did someone steal everyones "D"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast