FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door Issues - Toll Window & Locks

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Door Issues - Toll Window & Locks

Having a couple of issues with my doors:

1.) Driver's door - tool window not operating properly

The toll window on the driver's door has always had a strange noise to it and lately seemed to struggle going up and down. I opened up the door and saw this. Looks like the tube in the window regulator has deformed and split open further, and the internals pop out if the window is all the way up. For reference, the passenger side does not have this problem. Operating the window down the internals go back into the tube just fine. I'm not going to spend several hundreds on replacing the assembly, I would just use the window right now. I was thinking of pulling the regular out, fixing the tube best I could, and either install a sheath over it or use some small hose clamps to keep everything tight. Would that effect the operation?

Window.jpg

2.) Passenger's door - lock actuator not fully engaging in lock position

Just as it says, when the actuator operates to lock the door, it seems to only push everything half way (see what I've outlined in the yellow circle). This ends up causing the system to push the locks again or doesn't "see" the door as locked and causes everything to re-unlock. Moving everything manually at the actuator feels a little stiffer then the driver's side, but not by much. Do I have a bad actuator or need to realign or grease something?

Lock1.jpg

Lock2.jpg

3.) Passenger's door - inside door release difficult to operate

Again, just as it says. Always been like that but while I have the door apart would like to see if I could make it easier to operate. Anything I should look for here?

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    Having a couple of issues with my doors:

1.) Driver's door - tool window not operating properly

The toll window on the driver's door has always had a strange noise to it and lately seemed to struggle going up and down. I opened up the door and saw this. Looks like the tube in the window regulator has deformed and split open further, and the internals pop out if the window is all the way up. For reference, the passenger side does not have this problem. Operating the window down the internals go back into the tube just fine. I'm not going to spend several hundreds on replacing the assembly, I would just use the window right now. I was thinking of pulling the regular out, fixing the tube best I could, and either install a sheath over it or use some small hose clamps to keep everything tight. Would that effect the operation?

Window.jpg

Just as it says, when the actuator operates to lock the door, it seems to only push everything half way (see what I've outlined in the yellow circle). This ends up causing the system to push the locks again or doesn't "see" the door as locked and causes everything to re-unlock. Moving everything manually at the actuator feels a little stiffer then the driver's side, but not by much. Do I have a bad actuator or need to realign or grease something?

Lock1.jpg

Lock2.jpg

Again, just as it says. Always been like that but while I have the door apart would like to see if I could make it easier to operate. Anything I should look for here?
    With regard to the window regulator, you could install some zip ties on the tube. I've done that in the past and haven't had any problems since.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    With regard to the window regulator, you could install some zip ties on the tube. I've done that in the past and haven't had any problems since.
    I thought about zip ties but wondered how well they would hold up. That's why I was thinking something metal. But from what you are saying it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks! One problem solved!

My VIN:    6472

Your actuator is probably fine, but one way to test it is remove that one rod from the actuator and then try locking and unlocking it, and see if it moves any better. More likely you need to adjust the linkages and/or grease everything. I had to do both on mine and now it works great.

If it's difficult to operate only when the door is closed, you may need to adjust the striker pins. If it's hard to operate when door is open too, you may need to grease and/or adjust the release from the inside.