FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Help with door locks can't shut doors

Help with door locks can't shut doors

Hello, I was hoping someone could give some advise on my power locks not releasing. I have always heard of if you lock and unlock the vehicle quickly while inside you could risk it not releasing and the. You can't get out of the vehicle well fortunately in my 12 years of owning the vehicle it has never happen to me, my problem or concern now is I just had the wings a loft elite installed and obviously it locks and unlocks the doors and it worked fine several times ( sometimes just as when I would manually lock it before one door would lock and the other would not always) well now I went to the store with my son got out of the vehicle and went to shut the doors and the door will not shut it appears the striker on the front part of the doors is not opening and releasing so it must be in the locked position and now I cannot even shut my doors. I guessing a rod came off in the doors or something but does any one have any advice on how you can make the latch release from the outside so the doors will shut? When you hit the remote for lock and unlock it beeps but there appears to be no movement from the door latches. Appreciate and help. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My VIN:    6472

Did you try unlocking using the key from the outside?

You can't see the locking portion of the latch from outside the vehicle.

In normal operation the striker pins go into U shaped pieces of metal, which then flip up and hold the striker pins captive. If those U shaped pieces get flipped up while the door is open there's no way for the striker pins to enter the latches and the door won't close -- you will hear the striker pins banging against the flipped up U shaped pieces when the door is almost closed.

If that happens, ensure the latches are unlocked using the interior lock button or the exterior key, lift up the interior or exterior door handle, then flip the U shaped pieces back down with a screwdriver, ball point pen, stick, etc.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    You can't see the locking portion of the latch from outside the vehicle.

In normal operation the striker pins go into U shaped pieces of metal, which then flip up and hold the striker pins captive. If those U shaped pieces get flipped up while the door is open there's no way for the striker pins to enter the latches and the door won't close -- you will hear the striker pins banging against the flipped up U shaped pieces when the door is almost closed.

If that happens, ensure the latches are unlocked using the interior lock button or the exterior key, lift up the interior or exterior door handle, then flip the U shaped pieces back down with a screwdriver, ball point pen, stick, etc.

Bill Robertson
    Hello, thank you so much Bill, that fixed it. I was stressed thinking I was going to have take the door panels apart and everything . It never happen before but at least if it does it again I will know what to do. Thanks again