FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New member - potential new owner

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    When there was mention of "tow truck hook" damage, I immediately thought of the hooks actually on the car being damaged (which they look fine). I hadn't realized it meant some donkey tow truck driver had hooked his own chains under the front of the car and pulled hard on it causing that damage. Yea, that's a real boner move, but doesn't look too difficult to repair (for someone that knows how to do that sort of thing... not me to name at least one though).

Your car here looks really nice inside. A man after my own heart, with black interior and an automatic. Fender antenna too, but an early enough VIN that you got yourself a gas flap hood. Your car's dash and binnacle look really, really good too, so considering that and the type of hood you have, you already have a few pretty decent features that many guys consider quite important.

I looked back at your list of the work done on the car and one thing jumped out that I might want to look into further. It mentioned all the hoses were replaced, yet one of the earlier pictures you posted shows at least one of those hoses with a bit of a bulge in the middle and that to me meant it was ready to be replaced, not newly replaced. Thoughts?

Attachment 42184

Also, any reason you know of why the engine bay light switch is unplugged? Any other lights or switches or gizmos on the car that you know of that don't work?

The lower engine bay cover looks to be cracked over on the driver's side. Also missing a couple of the engine grille retaining strips and a couple of the seatbelt bolt covers. Neither of those are big ticket items, just thought I'd mention them for you. I look at pictures of cars a little too much it would seem... lol
    Thank you for the reply. The list of work was direct from the invoices from the mechanic who did the work so I would hope it is accurate. Could it maybe just be misaligned from one hard bit of hose to the other causing it to looked bulged?

The engine light works, we plugged it in and it came right on. My only guess as to why it is un-plugged is to prevent it from running down the battery when it was being worked on. The door locks are iffy and may be not hooked up because of the issues these locks have. He has told me not to lock it so that is what I'm doing. That should probably get fixed in the future. The engine cover is cracked, and replacements are $600+! Maybe in the future...

I agree with the features, I like the gas flap hood. Another thing it has is the stainless DeLorean letters in the back bumper, I like that too.

Thank you!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

So all in all, a nice list of minor things to do, but nothing that would stop you driving it - a rolling restoration as you might say.. Welcome to classic car ownership.

Now, why haven't you bought it already
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Thank you all for the replies. I have started the buying the process, I'm on my way to DeLorean ownership!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Keep in mind, just because all of the work is listed as being done, some of it may not have been done properly and may need to be redone. It is an extensive list and by most accounts you might figure there should be little to nothing needing to be done. Bad assumption on an old car. The engine light is of little use and if it stays on for a long time the plastic housing melts, the contacts touch and the fuse blows. Very few owners leave it connected. As for the doors, it is good advice to leave it disconnected if it isn't working perfectly. All you need to do to disconnect is remove the big red wire going from the door lock module to the circuit breaker behind the passenger seat under the package shelf. In your negotiations try to get any spare parts, 2 sets of keys, the valet, the owner's manual, any service books, car cover, etc that may be with the car. Oftentimes there is other stuff the seller may pass along like old magazines, BTTF stuff and so on. Ask and you may be surprised what they throw in. Check over carefully all the paperwork, the Title must match the vin #, the mileage and so on. Once you get the car Titled you need insurance to get it registered so get several quotes.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Keep in mind, just because all of the work is listed as being done, some of it may not have been done properly and may need to be redone. It is an extensive list and by most accounts you might figure there should be little to nothing needing to be done. Bad assumption on an old car. The engine light is of little use and if it stays on for a long time the plastic housing melts, the contacts touch and the fuse blows. Very few owners leave it connected. As for the doors, it is good advice to leave it disconnected if it isn't working perfectly. All you need to do to disconnect is remove the big red wire going from the door lock module to the circuit breaker behind the passenger seat under the package shelf. In your negotiations try to get any spare parts, 2 sets of keys, the valet, the owner's manual, any service books, car cover, etc that may be with the car. Oftentimes there is other stuff the seller may pass along like old magazines, BTTF stuff and so on. Ask and you may be surprised what they throw in. Check over carefully all the paperwork, the Title must match the vin #, the mileage and so on. Once you get the car Titled you need insurance to get it registered so get several quotes.
    Thank you for the advice.

All the work listed was done by a reputable shop that also specializes in DeLorean's. I do understand that it is an old car and parts will deteriorate quicker.

A car cover, seat covers, spare outside door handle, DeLorean World magazine's, owner's manual, and the previous invoices (work that was listed in first post) are all coming with the car. Car also has the spare tire and jack, but some of the other tools are missing.

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    Thank you for the advice.

All the work listed was done by a reputable shop that also specializes in DeLorean's. I do understand that it is an old car and parts will deteriorate quicker.

A car cover, seat covers, spare outside door handle, DeLorean World magazine's, owner's manual, and the previous invoices (work that was listed in first post) are all coming with the car. Car also has the spare tire and jack, but some of the other tools are missing.
    If it's the original 35 year old spare, you don't have a spare. At this age you'll be lucky to get a mile from them. I bought a new spare tire just in case for $80 and I got AAA just in case.
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

I'm now the proud owner of 2805! Now the fun starts!

My VIN:    2234

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    I'm now the proud owner of 2805! Now the fun starts!
    Congratulations and welcome to the family!

As mentioned and alluded to in prior posts, yes, these little cars have their share of fun in both the anticipated and unanticipated variety. When dealing with the unanticipated variety, know that this forum is full of members who can provide a wealth of help and support!

-Kevin
    VIN2234
    1 + 1 = 3 for exceptionally large values of 1.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congrats and welcome to your new obsession!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Couple of pics of VIN 2805 from DCS 2012

I remember seeing VIN 2805 at DCS 2012. I took these pics and remember it was a very nice stock Delorean!!
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast